Interfacing parking barrier with Arduino

Hello,

I am thinking of controlling a parking barrier (like this: https://parklio.com/) with Arduino. Problem is: what parking barrier is suitable for controlling through Arduino? When I look to order a parking barrier, all of them come with ready to use mobile application - but I don't want that, I want to be able to interface it to my Arduino and use Arduino to control the barrier?

Could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Gdam

I think you might need to look elsewhere for that help !! Car parking geek site perhaps .

You need to look for barrier parts , I would say, rather than systems . There won’t be anything out there designed with Arduino in mind - look for barrier control motors, gate openers, etc

Hi, thanks for the hint.

I am aware that there are (probably) no Arduino parking barriers. To simplify, what I'd like is a parking barrier with two wires coming out of it - so I can connect both of them to a relay and then use Arduino to control the relay (power ON = barrier up, power OFF = barrier down). Or something like that. Problem is, I can't find such barrier and I was really hoping somebody might know more for me where to look.

Gdam

gdam_arduino:
Hi, thanks for the hint.

I am aware that there are (probably) no Arduino parking barriers. To simplify, what I'd like is a parking barrier with two wires coming out of it - so I can connect both of them to a relay and then use Arduino to control the relay (power ON = barrier up, power OFF = barrier down). Or something like that. Problem is, I can't find such barrier and I was really hoping somebody might know more for me where to look.

Gdam

Hi,
Do you need a real barrier or just a model?
Regards.

vffgaston:
Hi,
Do you need a real barrier or just a model?
Regards.

I'd prefer a real-size barrier, not a tiny model, but of course it doesn't have to be a commercially applicable unit. Some plastic model would do just fine.

My last resort will be a simple servo + 0.5 meter branch :slight_smile:

gdam_arduino:
My last resort will be a simple servo + 0.5 meter branch :slight_smile:

I am not sure what it means …

If you are just trying to make sure on an arduino being able to control the barrier(s) or just trying to develop something related to barrier(s) control, perhaps a model is enough …

What you propose " (power ON = barrier up, power OFF = barrier down)" is logic (I don’t know how real systems work, but this is a quite logical way). Such a case, you can implement is by means of a conventional AC motor, a gear and a couple of limit switches; you need some electrical equipment (contactors, perhaps a frequency converter) too.

For a real system -and for safety reasons- perhaps two complementary limit switches are needed; an emergency push button -and related electrical components …

What is exactly what you are planning?

Regards .

Google “ barrier motor and gearbox” .....

If you are trying to 'hack' (integrate) into an existing product... you'll need alot more info that what is provided.

How does the mobile app work? Via Bluetooth? via Wifi? something else?

That is where you need to start. (maybe you can trap some signals and reproduce them?)

That being said... your time is probably better spent making a NEW parking barrier.. using a high torque servo or a stepper motor or something..

That way you have total control over the communication protocol you want to use.