Interfacing via GUI (C#)

Hi!

I am a bit of a newbie, but I want to use a GUI (C#) to both read analog inputs and write commands to an arduino TIAN over a wireless network. How would one go about doing this?

Alberto15:
Hi!

I am a bit of a newbie, but I want to use a GUI (C#) to both read analog inputs and write commands to an arduino TIAN over a wireless network. Is this possible and what kind of programs would you recommend using?

Anything is possible if you want to put enough time and money into it... You do realise you can read and send in the Arduino app? (serial monitor on right top of screen) If you set up wireless on computer and Arduino it should be doable. There are numerous ways to connect wirelessly some would be easier than others. Unfortunately this is my first venture into "wireless" comms, or I would advise best way to do it.

Yee, but I want to control it via a easy to use interface (so anybody can use it). I have checked out using Jubito to send/receive data. If both Arduino and a PC were using the same wifi, would it be possible for them to communicate via Jubito?

Never used Jubito or even heard of it before, but if you have the necessary programming experience to do the wireless on the GUI end, then you shouldn't have too much difficulty doing it on the arduino end. This might give you some idea on how to go about it on the Arduino end Arduino - WiFi

Sorry I have done GUI work in VB via serial, but have never had a need for wireless before.

Just looking at this premade code https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ConnectWithWPA looks like someone has already done the hard work for you. Pity there are no break points in the Arduino IDE I would like to step through that code.

Ok, thanks! :slight_smile:

Alberto15:
I am a bit of a newbie, but I want to use a GUI (C#) to both read analog inputs and write commands to an arduino TIAN over a wireless network. How would one go about doing this?

I can't figure from this what part of the project you want help with.

You can wirelessly connect a PC to an Arduino using Bluetooth or Wifi with a suitable module attached to the Arduino. XBee modules are another (more expensive?) option

The system which I use is to connect the PC by USB cable to an Arduino with an nRF24L01+ transceiver that communicates with a second Arduino plus nRF24. This Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial may be of interest. The nRF24 modules are cheap and work very well.

You have not told us the required range for your wireless communication - that is important.

...R

The arduino and the computer is both connected to the same wifi, is it possible to for them to talk to eachother? What kind of program do I have to use or set up a webserver? Thanks

As I said earlier anything is possible with enough work, but no one is going to hand you an end to end solution to your problem. So you need to do the bulk of the heavy lifting yourself (the work). So far we don’t even know if you know how to program is C#. I don’t want to assume you don’t but maybe show us the GUI you want to attach to the Arduino to give us a clue where you are headed. Have you bought the Wifi shield to go on the Arduino to be able to communicate with the PC? You need to take baby steps here, and break down the project into multiple smaller steps. Like you when I first started writing a VB app to interface with my aftermarket ECU I had never worked with serial before, so I had to start at the very beginning and just establish the connection and work from there.

If I was attempting what you are trying to do I would buy the Wifi shield first, use the code I linked you to earlier and at least then you have a device ready to receive any signal being sent. I should point out it took me several thousand hours of writing code to get it working semi right.

Alberto15:
The arduino and the computer is both connected to the same wifi, is it possible to for them to talk to each other?

If you had two PCs connected to the same WiFi would you be able to get them to talk to each other? When you have figured that out the process for the Arduino will be much the same. And there is a mountain of information on the web about how to do it with 2 PCs so it will be much easier to figure it out first with 2 PCs (or with your PC and your phone).

...R