interfacing with comupter programs

I want to connect my arduino to my computer to record how long events take. I want two stopwatch timers and I want the arduino to start and stop the time clocks. Is there any way to do this.

I want to connect my arduino to my computer to record how long events take. I want two stopwatch timers and I want the arduino to start and stop the time clocks. Is there any way to do this.

Lots of ways. C, C++, C#, PHP, PySerial, etc. all have ways to get data from the serial port. Some are easier for building GUIs for, for seeing the timers running, etc., that others. Some make saving the data to a file easier than others.

Of course, the Arduino can time things, too.

More details about what you want to time, and how you want to start and stop the timers, and how you want to display the results would be helpful.

I want two stop watch timers ,second,millisecond, on the computer display and I will have two break laser sensors with will stop the time clocks I also use Linux for my computer so it will have to be compatible with Ubuntu. I was thinking maybe flash would be a good format.

Sounds like a good project to use 'Processing'.

Its cross-platform and will be familiar to you as an Arduino (Wiring) user.