Internet access to Arduino

Hello, I am starting a simple circuit breaker controlled by arduino, but I needed some guidance on communication.

I need to give control (via computer or smartphones) basically to be able to monitor and control the breaker over the wireless internet (through routers). So I needed to know what hardware are required for such task.

Some of restrictions are: the distance between the router (where computer is connected) and micro-controller are far away (which is why wireless is needed), I have not set on the model of board (I was considering DUE or Mega series).

From what I have looked at, there are wifi shields that can be wireless connected to routers. But I was not sure how make this public so it is not just limited to LAN. I have looked at XBee connections, but it seemed that this cannot communicate with routers.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Is this a mains voltage AC circuit breaker? Have you sorted out how that side will be implemented? Sensing and switching mains voltages is tricky to do safely and highly dangerous if not done safely. In comparison, getting comms between an Arduino and a local area or wide area network is certainly possible although I suspect there are requirements which you haven’t uncovered yet which will complicate this.

Some of restrictions are: the distance between the router (where computer is connected) and micro-controller are far away (which is why wireless is needed), I have not set on the model of board (I was considering DUE or Mega series).

Until you figure out the distance and other wireless variables, i doubt you are going to get much help.