Interrupt, Assembly language and Arduino

Hi,

I am new to this forum and to arduino. I just found a topic and am posting my question here. Sorry if I am at the wrong place.

My question is:

I want to use serial interrupt in my program with the bootloader. Is there a method to generate an interrupt when a byte is received?

How can I include assembly language code with the bootloader?

When I try to use #include < avr/interrupt.h > in the Arduino Environment if shows me an error that no such file or directory found.

Please help me with this problem

Thank you
Prerak Desai
Mumbai, India

I am new to this forum and to arduino

Welcome.

I just found a topic and am posting my question here. Sorry if I am at the wrong place.

To me, this seems like a good place for your questions.

My question is:

You have several questions. I suggest focusing on one at a time.

When I try to use #include < avr/interrupt.h > in the Arduino Environment if shows me an error that no such file or directory found.

In your post, there are spaces before and after the file name. Is that how you have it in the Sketch? If yes, try without the spaces…

#include <avr/interrupt.h>

Is there a method to generate an interrupt when a byte is received?

Well, it seems that it is already used internally in Serial.
It doesn't seem to be possible through arduino's attachInterrupt, but arduino is built on top of avr-libc and the manual is here: avr-libc: <avr/interrupt.h>: Interrupts. If you attach your interrupt instead of arduino's, you will (probably) not be able to use Serial.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Coding Badly you were right, the space are a issue here.

Now there is another issue.

#include<avr/interrupt.h>
void setup()
{
Serial.begin(9600);
pinMode(13,OUTPUT);
}

void loop()
{
blinkLED();
}

void blinkLED()
{
int i;
for(i=0;i<25;i++)
{
digitalWrite(13,HIGH);
delay(100);
digitalWrite(13,LOW);
delay(100);
}
}

ISR(USART_RX_vect)
{

}

Here I want to continuously blink a LED. And I want an interrupt when data is available. I want an interrupt even if the for loop is at i=10 (example). I think ISR() is a solution (correct me if I am wrong).

The ISR() gives me an error say that it is already defined in the .cpp file.

What is the solution to this?

Thank you
Prerak Desai

This...

Serial.begin(9600);

Or this...

ISR(USART_RX_vect)

...has to go. They are mutually exclusive. Serial defines an ISR handler for USART_RX.

And I want an interrupt when data is available

For what purpose? Why can't you use Serial?

Hi,

The project I doing is about controlling the robot using the computer.

So, if I have instructed the robot to move on a particular path and after sometime if I want to stop the robot movement completely, I'll require interrupt.

If I were to use the Serial I would able to read the stop command only after the path has been completely travelled. In other word I want to stop the robot movement mid way.

That is the reason I am trying it using a simple LED.

[edit]and after sometime if I want to stop the robot movement completely, I'll require interrupt[/edit]

You almost certainly won't require an interrupt.

Interrupts are meant for processor-scale time periods; just about anything a hobbyist will do mechanically works on timescales thousands of times slower.