Interrupt driven Serial to XBEE -- Possible?

Hi, I'm new to arduino/xbee. This is what I have: FIO/XBEE board. I have two pushbutton switches, one connected to each interrupt pin on the FIO. When pushed the buttons output the same number (test condition, will have dip switch input of number later). Will debounce in hardware later. Right now the pushbuttons output the number to the Arduino IDE monitor on my desktop fine. Using serial output commands I think I'm outputting to the XBEE chip for transmit. Am I?. I have the FIO/XBEE connected to my desktop. I have another XBEE connected to my laptop. Using the X-CTU software on my laptop I expect to see the numbers on my laptop when I push the buttons on my breadboard at my desktop. Not seeing them. Question: I think I read a line somewhere that said the XBEE cannot be used with the FIO interrupts due to some kind of xmit/receive conflict. Must I input the pushbuttons to other digital pins than the interrupt pins? Must I go to polling?

Which XBees do you have? How have you configured them? Running X-CTU on the desktop with one XBee connected, and on the laptop with the other XBee connected, can the two XBees talk to each other.

If the answer is yes, proceed. If not, nothing programmed on the FIO or the PC will work. Go back to the configuration step, and get the XBees talking using X-CTU.

What code is running on the FIO?

I have two pushbutton switches, one connected to each interrupt pin on the FIO.

What will be pushing these switches? The FIO operates at 8 million instructions per second. What else is it doing that polling the switches is not fast enough?

Question: I think I read a line somewhere that said the XBEE cannot be used with the FIO interrupts due to some kind of xmit/receive conflict.

Got a source for this information? The XBees broadcast data that arrives on the RX pin, and put data received over the air on the TX pin. No interrupts are involved at all.

The only potential issue with interrupts is if you are not connecting the XBee to the hardware serial pins, but are, instead, connecting to other pins and using software serial to handle the I/O with those pins.

The first thing I did is set up an xbee to xbee link from my desktop to my laptop using xbee breakout boards. That worked fine. Fingers will be pushing the buttons. Using a microprocessor with interrupts to poll for button closings is like using a microprocessor board as a hammer. It has better things to be doing. I'm still searching for that one line reference. Thanks anyway.