Interrupt - Signal w/o interrupt INPUT

Hi there,
i am using an Und Rev3. Currently I am in a training using interrupts, following this project:

Klick hier @brainy-bits.com

It's about using a speed IR sensor as interrupt for DC velocity measurement.

Problem:
Installation of IR-Sensor OUT on Port 2 (= port 0 for Interrupt input): even without DC speed i get a count con variable counter, that slightly changes between 3-6 each refreshment.

using Port 3 (= port 1 for Interrupt input) in programm: even without a connected cable i get a count con variable counter, that is constant at 24,5 (*20=490 -> frequency of regular PWM) each refreshment.

So first of all:

• Why?! what do I wrong that counter gets just increased by real IR-signal?

Thanks a lot

Please post the code you are using right here on the forum, so all can see it.
Paul

#include <TimerOne.h>
unsigned int counter = 0;

const int a1_speed = 3;  // Motor Pin A - analog -> speed
const int a1_direction = 12;  // Motor Pin A - digital -> direction

const int CW  = HIGH;
const int CCW = LOW;

void docount()  // counts from the speed sensor
{
  counter++;  // increase +1 the counter value
}

void timerIsr()
{
  Timer1.detachInterrupt();  //stop the timer
  Serial.print("Motor Speed: "); 

int rotation = (counter/20);  // divide by number of holes in Disc
  Serial.print(rotation,DEC);  

Serial.println(" Rotation per seconds"); 

counter=0;  //  reset counter to zero
  Timer1.attachInterrupt( timerIsr );  //enable the timer
}

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);

pinMode(a1_speed, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(a1_direction, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(MotorBrakePinA, OUTPUT);

Timer1.initialize(1000000); // set timer for 1sec
  attachInterrupt(0, docount, RISING);  // increase counter when speed sensor pin goes High
  Timer1.attachInterrupt(timerIsr); // enable the timer

}

void loop()
{
  analogWrite(a1_speed, 80);  // set speed of motor
  digitalWrite(a1_direction, CW);  // set rotation of motor to Clockwise
}

using Port 3 (= port 1 for Interrupt input) in programm: even without a connected cable i get a count con variable counter, that is constant at 24,5 (*20=490 -> frequency of regular PWM) each refreshment.

If I'm not mistaken, you are already using pin 3 to send a PWM signal to the motor controller.

I would try to use a pulldown resistor from pin 2 to ground. The guide you linked has an amazon link to a lm393 based speed sensor, but it has four pins and the schematic in the guide only shows 3 wires connected to it, so maybe double check the pins you're using too.

It just occurred to me that i may have misunderstood your issue though. Using pin 2, Are you getting a reading that makes sense but it changes 3-6 each time? Or are you getting a reading that is only 3-6 counts per second?

Hey Isaiah935,
thanks for your help so far! Please find below my statements. Lets start with your question:

no it not makes sense for me.
There seems to be a "background noise" / offset regardless of whether something is plugged into pin 2 or not. Connecting and using an IR sensor increases this value as i would suggest - But probably with a slightly offset.

I got confused here due to the fact that I'm using an Arduino Motor Shield Rev3 as well and just the A Pins are physically connected to the motor, not PIN 3. So it was free.
But anyhow, your comment makes sense here, whether I do not know how the speed / voltage is controlled then at the DC... but this is a different question I could search by my own.

Connections are ok.
Question to your proposal proposal using a pull down resistor: Don't I have some kind of pull down resistor if I don't have anything connected to PIN 2? --> Resistance goes to infinity, that would be my guess.

And another question, that could help here: Do I need to use other PINS for Interrupts by using the Motor Shield Rev3, mounted on UNO Rev3?

Thanks in advance! Best regards, snipes04

Attaching a resistor from pin 2 to the ground pin should eliminate any stray voltage and noise on pin 2 that could be triggering the interrupt.

In your code you set a1_speed as an output on digital pin 3.

const int a1_speed = 3;  // Motor Pin A - analog -> speed
pinMode(a1_speed, OUTPUT);

I believe this uses digital pin 3. I could be wrong though.

I do not know the answer to your last question about which pins to use with the motor shield, but I would expect that they would be the same on the motor shield as they are on the Arduino.

Hi Isaiah935,

so applied a resistor pin 2 to ground without usage of IR-Sensor (just to rate the plain effect of this change), it's getting a bit better. But there are still irritations.

astonishingly the following experiences have been made:

• having additionally the IR sensor connected to pin 2 (w/o measuring the rotating DC) : problem gets even worse

• a faster running of the engine 80 -> 255 (analogWrite(a1_speed, 255); // set speed of motor influences interrupts --> to higher value ( ...even with no IR-Sensor installed, use pull down resistor)

• adding a load to the motor influences interrupts --> to higher value ( ...even with no IR-Sensor installed, use pull down resistor)

In another forum I have read that the volatile voltage change (incl. voltage peaks) leads to interferences in whole board network. Unfortunately it is a forum with German language (https://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/413399. Maybe this is another hint?
I tried it out with 10µF and 100µF... without any big optimization...

BR, snipes04

Unfortunately, I don't really know of any other possible solutions. Good luck with your project, sorry i couldn't be of more help.

This will give misleading results. Serial.print() must not be used in an Interrupt service routine.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.