Invalid Device Signature

I am trying to program ATtiny84 and ATtiny85 chips and bought some from Digikey. When I tried programming them with the Arduino ISP sketch I keep getting the error:

avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

I have checked to make sure that the correct board is selected and have not touched avrdude as the Arduino help section thought might be one of the problems.

Previously I have succesfully programmed other ATtiny85 chips. For some reason this batch is not working. I am running Arduino 1.0.5

I am using the ATtiny85 with a possible model # of 1252. Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix this?

Do we get to know what the invalid signature is...?

I don't know what it is referring to. I assume it has something to do with the ATtiny85?

Hey I just got that same kind of problem, but I was using an Arduino as ISP to upload to other Arduinos via ICSP pins... It seems that if the upload baud setting is above 19200 (the IDE defaults to 57600), you'll get that invalid device signature.

In my boards.txt I had to force the following:

BOARD.upload.speed=19200
BOARD.upload.using=arduino:arduinoisp

Change the BOARD aliases above to match your block id.

Ben1234: I don't know what it is referring to. I assume it has something to do with the ATtiny85?

Normally it shows the device signature it saw right above the "Yikes! Invalid device signature."