Invalid Device Signature

Hi guys! Would like to ask why my ATMega328p-pu was not able to burn a bootloader. I have tried a bunch of things I have seen on the web but none of them works.

I have followed every single detail on the arduino.cc website but I usually receive:

avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

Then I have reached instructables.com there I saw changing the device signature from
“0x1e 0x95 0x0F” to “0x1e 0x95 0x14”.

Yes I know I have an ATMega328p-pu but why did I changed the device signature for ATMega328-pu? I just did it out of desperation.

Is there any way to know the device signature? Aside from those two? I'm also thinking if I have a counterfeited ATMega328p-pu, is it still workable?

Appreciate the help guys.

In preferences, enable verbose upload and try again. Now it will also output the signature that it saw.

The most common thing to see is 0x000000, indicating that the AVR is not outputting anything. This usually means either bad wiring, or fuses are set to use external crystal or clock source, but there isn't one connected.

Hi

See this post here avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA328P is 1E 95 0F - Installation & Troubleshooting - Arduino Forum from post #6 onward is my same issue.

I bought some more chips later from Farnell (UK) and surprise surprise didn't have this problem. I think the chips are incorrectly marked up somehow and found their way cheaply available on Ebay. They work, but what they are exactly, well the jury is still out.

Regards

Phil