Invalid library found

I am using a ESP8266 (NodeMCU) and I am trying to load a simply code on this device. I've already set up everything but when I connect the ESP to my PC, the port doesn't show up and I get this error: ('trovata libreria non valida' is italian and it means 'invalid library found')

Trovata libreria non valida in /home/emanuele/.arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/1.6.5-947-g39819f0/libraries/esp8266: /home/emanuele/.arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/1.6.5-947-g39819f0/libraries/esp8266

Maybe I should change the library? I don't know...Can anyone help me?

It appears you are running a non-standard or outdated version of the esp8266 Arduino core. Try this:

• Tools > Board > Boards Manager
  • Wait for downloads to complete
  • Scroll down the list until you find something that says ESP8266, click on it.
  • Click "Remove"
  • Wait for removal process to complete
  • Click "Close"
  • File > Preferences > Additional Boards Manager URLs - delete the esp8266 URL, replace it with http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json
  • Click OK
  • Tools > Board > Boards Manager
  • Wait for downloads to complete
  • Scroll down the list until you find something that says ESP8266, click on it.
  • Click "Install"
  • Wait for installation to complete
  • Click "Close"
  • Select the correct board from the Tools > Board menu

I've tried but I still have the same problem (the URL was correct but the library version was really old, I thought this was the problem but then even with the most recent version I still have that problem, even trying to select ''generic ESP8266 module''). Do you know any other solutions?

Please post the error message again now that you've updated to the latest version of the esp8266 core.

I don't know if the ''invalid library found'' error is fixed, this is the error I am getting now (the port on the ''tools'' menu isn't showing up...) (Should I change topic?). This is the error:

Arduino:1.8.2 (Linux), Scheda:"NodeMCU 1.0 (ESP-12E Module), 80 MHz, 115200, 4M (3M SPIFFS)"

Archiving built core (caching) in: /tmp/arduino_cache_919221/core/core_esp8266_esp8266_nodemcuv2_CpuFrequency_80,UploadSpeed_115200,FlashSize_4M3M_ed7c3fe4abba3ec142f577222b0e2297.a
Lo sketch usa 221927 byte (21%) dello spazio disponibile per i programmi. Il massimo è 1044464 byte.
Le variabili globali usano 31500 byte (38%) di memoria dinamica, lasciando altri 50420 byte liberi per le variabili locali. Il massimo è 81920 byte.
Errore durante il caricamento dello sketch
error: cannot access COM1

error: espcomm_open failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed

Looks like it was fixed. The cause of the invalid library warning was just that you were using an outdated version of the esp8266 package. The port of the NodeMCU not showing up is a completely unrelated problem. If you don't see the port of your NodeMCU on the Tools > Port menu then you definitely won't be able to upload to it. You may be using a charging only or damaged USB cable. Try using a known good cable or verify that your cable works with another device. I believe there are problems with using these devices on USB 3.0 ports, connect it to a USB 2.0 port on your computer. I'm not experienced with Arduino and Linux but there is something about adding your user to dialout group and perhaps also configuring the port correctly before you can use it. I don't know if that would cause the port to not appear on the menu.

Thanks for the help!! I'll check all these options and if necessary I'll open a new topic.