Invented serial protocol ...

I have invented and tested a serial protocol that uses two wires!

Whoa.

It is one-way and is polarity-independent, which is to say, the two wires can be flipped. Wrote test code for it yesterday, and it works.

One more feature: it is slow (some 3-500 bytes/sec).

:smiley:

It's probably good for nothing, just an idle experiment, just thought I'd share. Perhaps someone can get some inspiration from it.

(1) if one wire goes high then low, and the other remains low, it's a 0

(2) if one wire goes high, and while its high the other goes high, then low, it's a 1

(3) if one wire goes high, then the other goes high, and the first goes low before the second, it's a "sync", which means end of this value, ready with next.

It would have taken me 15 minutes to implement and test, had not one of the jumper wires on the breadboard, representing one of the two communication wires, mysteriously loosened. Got some rather strange readings there for a good while.

(1)
Pin A   ----------
Pin B      

(2)
Pin A   ----------
Pin B       ----

(3)
Pin A   ----------
Pin B       -----------

So now I hope for hardware support from the Atmel guys ...

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Nice idea, but what was wrong with normal 1-wire hardware serial?

What guidance do you require?

Thanks for sharing the idea...

Designing and coding and debugging communications protocols is a very good way to learn about the combination of code, electronics reality and timing complexity.

I once wrote a multilevel protocol that ran over IEEE488 and made the hard disk on an IBM Series 1 appear as a local hard drive on a PC. It took about a month and never would have worked without the help of my friend Tom Lasher finally showing a way to Fake The FAT.

Keep on trying stuff!

I also applaud your interest in experimenting. However, this is a help forum. There is another section for showcasing designs. It’s the right thing, but the wrong place.

aarg:
I also applaud your interest in experimenting. However, this is a help forum. There is another section for showcasing designs. It's the right thing, but the wrong place.

Okay, didn't know that.

Feel free to move to Exhibition / Gallery :slight_smile:

The best line of this entire thread is the last sentence of Terry King's post response.