Inverse multiplexer?

Hello all
I'm looking for a chip that does the above. Basically like a multiplexer but instead of switching between different signals and directing them to a single source I want to to take one source of signal and be able to control it going to different points like a switching junction.

If anyone even has the correct name for such a chip I would appreciate it just to know what to Google for.

Try:
http://playground.arduino.cc/learning/4051

Look at (for example) 74HC151 (and up).

It's called - not surprisingly - a "demultiplexer", but the important question in this case is just what you want to do with it, digital or analog?

polypagan:
Look at (for example) 74HC151 (and up).

Sorry, you didn't read the requirement!

IF it's digital
74HC42 gives you 1 of 10, IF you need to turn of all outputs it's reduced to 1 of 8 using D as input
74HC154 gives you 1 of 16, G1 and G2 gives on and off

Pelle

The below CD74HC4067 chip might be of interest. I think this chip is analog and bidirectional.

Analog or digital demultiplexer?

There is nothing stopping you using an analogue multiplexer for digital signals.
Therefore the 4067 and other chips of that ilk can be used both as a multiplexer and demultiplexer.

The trick is of course, precisely what to you want a demultiplexer to do?

A device that distributes a signal to a number of different destinations is called a buffer (amplifier). That is to say, it distributes the same signal to a number of different destinations simultaneously, each “seeing” the same signal.

The question now becomes, why do you not want the same signal to go to each destination? And at any given destination, if you do not want that signal, what do you want in its stead? That is not a trivial question; a digital demultiplexer specifically pulls the outputs that are not selected, to a predetermined value such as high for the 74HC154, while an analog demultiplexer leaves unselected outputs open.

Not having heard further from “Oddwired”, we have not found out what he really wanted to do; I rather suspect something quite different. :smiley:

while an analog demultiplexer leaves unselected outputs open.

Well I would say floating rather than open, it is a more accurate description.

Not having heard further from "Oddwired", we have not found out what he really wanted to do; I rather suspect something quite different.

I think the request is fairly straight forward. 8)