Investing in ATSAM3X8E (Due)? What happens after retirement?

Hello,

I read that Due is retired. We have a project that's almost finished. The code heavily uses the ATSAM3X8E capabilities (the library we are using uses SPI_MODE_DMA ..thing). I am worrying that at some day we won't be able to Arduino Due. That would be a disaster. I mean it depends:

Do you guys think that we'll be able to buy a ATSAM3X8E microcontroller even if there are no Arduino Due in any shop? I am not an expert, as far as I understood in the final product we basically only need the actual ATSAM3X8E microcontroller, is this correct?

Do I understand correctly that if we start mass producing our product then we only need to worry about buying ATSAM3X8E microcontrollers and upload(?) the arduno firmware and we are good to go? Or something like that?? :o

Was ATSAM3X8E created specifically for Due? Or is this an independent thing?

Thanks.
Levi

http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/ATSAM3X8E

Still shows in production.

There is a long thread over in the Due subforum. I suggest you read that first.

The Due was really produced by the 'other Arduino' and is still in production. Both sides still support it. Retirement has no meaning at this point.

Cluttermap:
Do I understand correctly that if we start mass producing our product then we only need to worry about buying ATSAM3X8E microcontrollers and upload(?) the arduno firmware and we are good to go? Or something like that?? :o

correct

Cluttermap:
Was ATSAM3X8E created specifically for Due? Or is this an independent thing?

No. Although I'm sure Atmel likes to see their microcontrollers used in Arduino boards this market is tiny compared to other uses of these parts such as consumer electronics. It would never be worth the expense of creating a microcontroller specifically for use on an Arduino board.

Thanks for the answers!