iOS Arduino Connection

What's the best way to connect an Arduino with a non-jailbroken iPhone or iPad to do something like I can do with the Serial Monitor in the Arduino Java IDE? Is this Apple-approved serial cable the only way?

for the price of the cable, might as well put a bluesmirf on it!

Usage of Bluetooth is extremely restricted in iOS, too. I think this won’t work.

I've tried to build a webserver that return a XML with all the values needed. Im polling the arduino with a NStimer on the IOS side. It work pretty well..

You could also implement the Websocket draft...

kronawetter: What's the best way to connect an Arduino with a non-jailbroken iPhone or iPad to do something like I can do with the Serial Monitor in the Arduino Java IDE? Is this Apple-approved serial cable the only way?

If jailbreak is not an option, then yes. That or stuff through the web are your best options.

kronawetter: Usage of Bluetooth is extremely restricted in iOS, too. I think this won't work.

Such a sad device, like Robocop, built as a powerful machine to protect the innocent but has a 4th directive expressing its creator's true purpose. If I didn't have it, I'd be able to pay for this:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=acer+iconia+windows+7&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3692456653120919797&sa=X&ei=0rTITpusN-OniQKFqqgE&ved=0CFwQ8wIwAA

It's just a windows machine and in a tablet form factor.

Does anyone have this machine? Any comments?

It will be cheaper to buy BLE shield like HM-10/11 or HC-8 one bay. Even MFi Apple's cable is more expensive ;-)

BTW You can upload right from your iOS device with Apploader iOS app or ArduinoCode iOS app.