IOT inspiration

Dang it's been a day. Even though I hardly did anything. Except for purchasing a carton of milk and a box of cereal.
So I lied down on my bed, still with the devices with the hope of doing one or two math problems, and realized "hey, I didn't turn that desklamp off but I don't want to get down there and stuff.."

At THIS moment I thought of a IoT light switch.

I was always AGAINST IoT. "Why do you need to pull out your phone to control your A/C"? Why can't you just walk to the control and turn it on (like we used to)?
Same with a temperature (perhaps built-in to thermostats). Just walk up to it and read the numbers.

But I think this is what IoT is about -- it make our live a little bit more convenient. And that's about it.

As a result I am still very unwilling to make IoT stuff. Nor do I find any practical purpose for them.

Either persuade me, or share your thoughts.

For many people (and also for You, as I read from Your text) IoT is a tool for home automation. And for most people (inspired by big Internet companies) home automation is nothing else than a universal remote control for all technical devices at home (not only for television). Good luck for the big companies if users may be convinced to use cloud services and getting dependent. So the I (Internet) in IoT seems to be a basic rule for being connected to the Internet and your home automation is not possible without the Internet and its big players.

But IoT (Internet of Things) means nothing else than using Internet technologies (browsers, servers, remote services, etc.) not only for people sitting at keyboards and screens but also for devices (things). It is not necessary to have an Internet connection, you can use Internet technologies also with your home network. If Your home network is based on IP (with TCP and UDP) it is called Intranet and there is no difference in communication compared to the Internet.

From my point of view we should not use the term IoT for remote control in home automation and also we should not link it to the "public Internet" with dependencies from big companies. It is a matter of freedom to have my IoT-System running in my LAN (called Edge Computing today) with tools that are not depending on a physical connection to the Internet.

For home automation I make a separation between remote control and smart home. For me, a smart home is like a perfect butler who knows what I need in specific situations or at specific times. What a stupid idea to talk with a switch for turning on the light instead of an automatic turn on when I enter a dark room. So we should use our fantasy for developing real smart devices instead of controlling them for each simple action.

Let me rephrase that.
You want to wire the whatever IoT stuff to your home switcher (or hub, however you prefer), and have the program (or whatever) set up so they do not need connection to the Internet.
That's .. Well, I don't know how you would be wiring one up in another way. Internet dependency is another story.

But again, my point is that we don't really NEED to have this system of centralized control. Well, if you own a hotel with maybe 40 rooms, you might want a similar system. Otherwise I don't think it offers much things beside some mild convenience.

HOWEVER, because they are all wired to a switch (or they are governed by a hub), you can do things like put a IoT rain sensor and if it detect rain it will tell the window to close (things like that). That will be rather helpful, but not something you will panic without.

A game controller, however, might be a necessity to actually allow you to sit back and enjoy some entertainment.

If you think about the necessities for people, you will find a kind of level or shell model organized in priorities. Starting with 1. air to breathe, 2. water to survive days, 3. something to eat to survive weeks, etc. etc.
Then, early or later, you will touch a level, where you get doubts, whether it is necessary or not.
Now, you can go on and define, what is necessary for people derived from your own feelings and needs. That is a dictators method.
Or, you create a feedback and ask people, what they need. That is a democratic method.
Or you influence people and make them asking for your products. That is the marketing method.
In any way, from a fuzzy level you cannot define a necessity without defining the goals people have to go for and it gets more and more fuzzy.

So everybody will have to tell you his personal needs, influenced or not. And whether it is a need or a wish is also not clear.

For me, I wish to have (need?) a home automation which is a kind of perfect butler. And I need(!) absolute privacy, nobody shall be able to observe me and derive the best methods to influence me from my behavior (my home is my castle).