iPhone programmer needs guidance on getting set up with Arduino

Hey everyone. I am a self-taught iOS dev. I'm into sensors and similar stuff, but I mainly just want to learn computer organization in a hands on way with the Arduino.

I want to get better at C and learn Assembly language - I have seen online tutorials and books that focus on Assembly for the Arduino ATMega chips.

What kit should I buy? What board specifically?

The Due uses the ARM chip, which is the same instruction set as the iOS devices so that seems like a good fit for my career going forward. I am not sure there are beginner level ARM Assemby tutorials out there though.

Advice is greatly appreciated.

What kit should I buy?

What do you want to build/do?

What board specifically?

For what project?

The Due uses the ARM chip

Corn chips are better.

which is the same instruction set as the iOS devices so that seems like a good fit for my career going forward.

There really aren't all that many jobs for Assembly language programmers. Being able to develop applications will make you more marketable.

I am not sure there are beginner level ARM Assemby tutorials out there though.

Assembly language programming and beginner only belong in the same sentence where there is a "no way" involved somewhere.
You really need to understand one (or more) high level programming languages before you can begin to appreciate what assembly language programming is all about, and the pros and cons of doing programming that way.

Well, I already know Obj C and a bit of Java and those are high-level language. I just want to learn more about computer technology at a lower level since iOS programming allows you to drop down to C or Assembly for greater control, but there isn't a whole lot of iOS specific stuff hence me playing around with Arduino.

Just wanted to know if for my purposes do I need a kit with a bunch of wires, resistors, lights, beeping things or can I just buy a board and output to logs? If I can just get a board, is there any benefit to getting all the little motors and things?

Adafruit's starter kit comes with a booklet and instructions for a number of beginner activities. I have one set. Not bad. I gave up assembly before the clocks hit Y2K. Can't agree with PaulS more about the job perspect. You want a job, learn some software dev either on PC or on web/database. I don't know about iOS. Guess it won't hurt. Arduino? Unless you are going for engineering jobs, there is currently no Arduino jobs. It would pretty up your resume if nothing arduino-wise works out :wink:

I'm not looking for an Assembly or Arduino job. I want to get better at C and Assembly to use in iOS programming as the IDE allows you to use any C based language, Assembly or Swift to program apps or any of the aforementioned combined. I just want to use Arduino as a learning tool to become a better iOS programmer since I already have a job making apps.

I have developer iOS apps, but I don't really see how Arduino programming in C will help you.

Under Xcode you can already use C instead of ObjectoveC for some parts of you apps.

If you look at the source for a lot of the open source libraries, it is C code ported to iOS.

Your be better off looking at how some complex libraries e.g ones that do MP3 or image compression are coded, as they will be coded for maximum speed of operation, while still trying to keep a reasonable memory footprint.