Ir Beam Break Help

Im very new to Arduino and am fumbling my way thru the programing so please excuse any ignorance.

Im trying to modify a scoreboard project to change FROM A PUSH BUTTON to an IR BEAM BREAK system where breaking the IR beam will act as if the button had been pushed.

From what I understand, when the IR beam is uninterrupted the IR receiver is low, and goes HIGH when interrupted.

the project in question: Link

in the sketch I believe this is what us used for the pushbuttons: (please correct me if I'm wrong)

// Switches pin connection to Arduino UNO
#define switchone 2
#define switchtwo 3

void setup() {
pinMode(switchone,INPUT_PULLUP);
pinMode(switchtwo,INPUT_PULLUP);

My question is two fold:

1. when I connect the Ir emitter and detectors do I need them all hooked to the Arduino, or could I have just the detectors hooked, have constant power to the emitters and have the detectors attached to the Arduino to detect wether they are High Or Low?

And

1. Most important, How to I code that? meaning how to I modify this existing project to use the detection of an Ir Receiver (going high) to signal the increase in number value on the 7 segment display?

Thank you for any help you can give.

From what I understand, when the IR beam is uninterrupted the IR receiver is low, and goes HIGH when interrupted.

You should do some testing, so you can change "From what I understand' to nothing, so your statement reads "when the IR beam is uninterrupted the IR receiver is low, and goes HIGH when interrupted."

Your understanding may be wrong.

Of course, you also need to post a schematic. I would expect an IR sensor sensing light (beam not broken) to read HIGH, and to change to LOW when the light goes away (beam gets broken). But, it would depend on how you wired the sensor to the Arduino.

PaulS:
Of course, you also need to post a schematic. I would expect an IR sensor sensing light (beam not broken) to read HIGH, and to change to LOW when the light goes away (beam gets broken). But, it would depend on how you wired the sensor to the Arduino.

Thats what Im unsure about. Both the wiring and weather it would go High Or low, OR it that depends on the programing. The one bit of information I can find said it was High when the beam was broke. But I agree that sounded backwards to me as well.

As for the wiring schematics, I was not sure how I should go about it, but here are 3 options. (please excuse the sloppy work, but I wanted to augment the original so you could see where I was coming from)

Ir_option1 Is what I think would work best for the overall project in the long run. and the one Id like to go with if i can.

Ir_option2 Is because I saw one schematic that suggested that Ir would be analog inputs (I’m very unsure about that)

Ir_option3 is another way to go and possible but more complicated for the end design. but possible if this is how it needs to be done.