IR emitter increase range?

Hello,

Currently I'm using an IR emitter (940nm) with an Arduino Nano, firstly I used a resister which was I believe like 230 ohms, but with that I couldn't get any further than a few centimeters, I then removed the resistor completely and I got a distance like 20 centimeter, now I really would like to achieve a distance of like 1 up to 10 meters..

Is this possible? Or what should I do, I've read multiple threads on the forums but they all had to do something with the power from the emitter..

Also what's the difference between my IR emitter and the one from like a Sony Remote control which can achieve 10 meters?

Any help would be appriciated!

Your problem most probably is the receiver, not the emitter. What receiver do you use?

If you want a strong signal (bright emission) at distance, like a commercial remote, then do what the commercial remote does (Pulse the emitter, overdrive the pulsed emitter, and modulate your data on the pulsed carrier).

123Splat:
(Pulse the emitter, overdrive the pulsed emitter, and modulate your data on the pulsed carrier).

And of course use a decoding receiver :wink:

When you had the 230?Ω resistor in place you were limiting the current to a safe value of around 20mA. Now that you have removed the resistor the current is an unknown, but higher value, which may or may not be safe for the IR LED or the Arduino pin.

To get a longer range you need a much higher current. You have to pulse the IR LED with up to say an Amp, but with a very fast pulse, and low duty cycle, so that the average power dissipated by the LED is within it's limits. Refer to the data-sheet of your emitter to find out more information.

JohnLincoln:
To get a longer range you need a much higher current. You have to pulse the IR LED with up to say an Amp, but with a very fast pulse, and low duty cycle, so that the average power dissipated by the LED is within it's limits. Refer to the data-sheet of your emitter to find out more information.

I have really no idea how to do that..

123Splat:
If you want a strong signal (bright emission) at distance, like a commercial remote, then do what the commercial remote does (Pulse the emitter, overdrive the pulsed emitter, and modulate your data on the pulsed carrier).

No I have a commercial TV with a receiver in it of course, and I clone the remote for that TV, but the distance that my receiver sends is terrible..

DrDiettrich:
Your problem most probably is the receiver, not the emitter. What receiver do you use?

Sony TV receiver.