IR helicopter

i have a IR helicopter and well the remote is lost.... so what i was hoping to do is use my arduino to talk to it with IR and make a replacement remote. Syma S107 RC IR Helicopter

Sounds cool. Let us know how that works out for ya.

Or was there a question somewhere in there? ::)

yeah how do i get the arduino to talk to the Syma S107 RC IR Helicopter? i have no remote and would like to get that thing flying again with IR communication.

Well, the first thing you have to research is how is the IR signal is coded.

I know people have made universal remotes using Arduinos before, but how the information is coded is really needed before you can do any design work on what would be needed to make such a beast.

The next question I have to ask is why build a remote when I see helicopter and remote for sale around $30. It would be more economical to buy a new one. Don’t get me wrong if you just want to do it so you can learn about uC and electronics that isn’t a bad way to go.

i agree i could totally buy a new helicopter, but the one i bought was like 100 bucks, and it really sucks that i can find the remote. but it would also be fun to have a usb remote with a GUI program controlling the helicopter. idk. i just know that its possible. maybe i could find a replacement remote and copy the out put signal to the computer and then resend that signal trough the arduino, to achieve this project.

copy the out put signal to the computer and then resend that signal trough the arduino, to achieve this project.

Yes that is perfectly possible. It all hinges on exactly how the IR remote is modulating the IR emitting diode. All you have to do is mimic that.

You could "record" the sequences from the original remote, so either find someone who can lend one to you or google for specs, maybe someone already done that before.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1231421 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15205498&postcount=95

i haven't gone through the whole threads but they seem to be a very very good starting point for what you want to do

Thanks Punk that's really helpful i think this will be a really cool set up i want to eventually use processing to build a program that uses a joy stick and maybe a wireless cam then maybe some program to automate the copter