IR LED Controller basic setup

Hi.

I am a complete beginner with Arduino.

I am hoping to put together a programmable group of 3-6 IR LED's some or all of which will be required to oscillate at a set frequency. It needs to be battery powered - preferably with a longish life.

Are there any recommendations for which kits to buy, basic boards, minimum requirements?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Are there any recommendations for which kits to buy, basic boards, minimum requirements?

I’m sure that there are. You need to say more about your project requirements, though. Are these IR LEDs going to be transmitters or receivers? What range do you need?

preferably with a longish life.

Is that longish relative to a dandelion or a redwood tree? Are you talking 10 minutes or 10 months? Longish isn’t a requirement.

Wow! Thanks for the help!

I guess IR LED as in Light Emitting Diode.

And continuous lifespan... I guess in the region of a third of the lifespan of a gastrotrich.

@oliverashford, Some basic questions were asked. How about some simple replies without so much attitude?

Otherwise, get a 3.3V/8 MHz Promini, a LiPo battery, IR LEDs and appropriate current limiting resistors.

oliverashford: And continuous lifespan... I guess in the region of a third of the lifespan of a gastrotrich.

According to Wikipedia, that corresponds to about three days.

Question is - exactly how often do you want them to flash, what duty cycle, under what conditions, how bright? It would help to know precisely why you need this function. Do gastrotrichs respond to IR or is that the topic of the research?