IR problem

I have a project that uses an IR sensor to trigger an iPod remote and iPod. It works pretty good but goes off at random once in a while. Does anyone know why? I’m wondering if adding a resistor to the ground wire of the IR may alleviate this…? Has anyone experienced this before and have a solution?

It works pretty good but goes off at random once in a while. Does anyone know why?

No, sorry, my crystal ball is on the blink, and I'm all out of tea leaves.

ok, well, what information can i provide that might help someone help me?

I have a project that uses an IR sensor to trigger an iPod remote and iPod

And it uses what hardware, and what software?

Is there encoding used on the signal?

If it’s a straight “turn on when IR detected”, it’s possible it may be triggered by another source such as sunlight.

A lot of early mice which used IR pulse counters for measuring movement used to go crazy if used by a window on a sunny day. :slight_smile:

well, what information can i provide that might help someone help me?

Posting a schematic would help, along with a description of exactly what you have implemented. Also posting the code could be reverent. For example is it a modulated IR control? Is it from a remote control handset? Is there any decoupling in your circuit? Could the random triggering be light based interference or electrical based interference. http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Tutorial/De-coupling.html