IR Receiver connected to 9 volt still alive?!

Hi dear forum,

After making this VS1838b IR receiver, which is rated to up to 5V, connected to 9V for around 20 minutes, I realized the mistake and disconnected. Later, when I connected back to 5V and to arduino, I saw it is still working perfectly

That made me wonder about higher voltage than the voltage rating and the damage it makes. How come the device is still working? And does the damage is immediate when occurs?

Thanks!

It sounds like you were lucky and the device has a high tolerance for over voltage. It is not always predictable. Some types of failure, for example a protection diode on an IC pin breaking down through sustained overvoltage, can leave the IC still working but then more vulnerable to electrostatic damage.

6v6gt: It sounds like you were lucky and the device has a high tolerance for over voltage. It is not always predictable. Some types of failure, for example a protection diode on an IC pin breaking down through sustained overvoltage, can leave the IC still working but then more vulnerable to electrostatic damage.

Got it! people tend to learn the hard way, so am I...

Thank you