IR receiver Problem

Previously I had made a IR relay circuit for my room's appliances. It work very well but there is a little problem with ir receiver. It gets signal when the remote is strictly pointing towards the receiver is. I want it to work like Television remote.. I.e. Will work same as if remote's direction is slightly changed(not exactly pointing towards receiver).

I hope I had explained my point clearly and also i know its possible because my television's set-up box receives signal even if remote's direction is making a right angle to the receiver's direction.

Hi,
What remote do you have (Link??)

Are you sure your TV remote is IR?? Many new ones are RF and do not need to be pointed at the set.

IR light is reflected by many surfaces, that's why it's not normally required to align the sender and receiver. But due to such reflections and other light sources, IR remote controls use a carrier of about 40kHz to transmit control codes. Do you use such specialized sender and receiver circuits?

No, my tv remote works through IR.

I have a circuit as per ken shirriff's blog i.e. IR Bubbles: Controlling a relay with an Arduino and an IR remote

Additionally a 100uF capacitor between IR receiver terminals

I don't know what makes your receiver so insensitive. Have you already tried another one?

Which IR Receiver are you using ?
Here is a sample list from Vishay with carrier frequencies ranging from 30 to 56 Khz and not all will be matched to your TV remote control and some like the proximity sensor would be completely inappropriate.
http://www.vishay.com/ir-receiver-modules/minicast/

You say:

Additionally a 100uF capacitor between IR receiver terminals

Between Ground and + ?

It gets signal when the remote is strictly pointing towards the receiver is. I want it to work like Television remote… I.e. Will work same as if remote’s direction is slightly changed(not exactly pointing towards receiver).

I suspect either your IR remote and IR receiver are using a different carrier frequency… close enough to work with a direct line-of-sight but not close enough to trigger on reflections.

Another possibility is your IR detector is manufactured with a higher density optical plastic filter to reduce the interference.

Ray

6v6gt:
Which IR Receiver are you using ?

I using TSOP 1838, with a 100uF capacitor between its Vcc and Gnd.

Thanks to you all, here i get to know that I have to find another receiver which is compatible with the remote.

Thanks to you all, here i get to know that I have to find another receiver which is compatible with the remote.

One can purchase these things in "pairs", but I purchased several 'universal' remotes a few years back from the $1 for one-dollar-USD (imagine that.) Anyway, I use the 'Sony' mode and the MIM 5383H4 Infrared Module as I wrote here.

Good luck,

Ray