IR receiver to detect laser

Hello,

I am trying to detect a laser signal from a rangefinder device like this one -> specs here
It's light source has a wavelength of 905 nm, and it rotates taking 25ms per scan.

I purchased a few of these photodiodes to try and detect the signal -> Vishay BPV23F, which by datasheet specification should be able to detect 900 to 950nm wavelengths. datasheet can be found here

I tested by connecting to a 5V power source, and the output to a LED and then through a resistor to ground. However, I can't get them to detect the laser. They pick up my TV remote's signal pretty well though, which from what I've read is probably around 980nm. Is there an obvious reason why this sensor wouldn't detect the laser signal? Should I be using a different type of receiver? Or more voltage? All I want is to detect the signal.

Any advice or insights would be appreciated !

(As a comment, this is an experiment and I'm a software developer so I have very little idea of what I'm doing. Please help me out if I have some fundamental concepts wrong).

I tested by connecting to a 5V power source, and the output to a LED and then through a resistor to ground. However, I can't get them to detect the laser.

Not an ideal circuit to detect that signal. The scanner has 25ms to do a round. Let's say you position your detector at 30cm from the scanner. Under perfect conditions the diode will provide a spike of about 25µs on it's output. You have no chance to see that on the LED.

pylon:
Not an ideal circuit to detect that signal. The scanner has 25ms to do a round. Let's say you position your detector at 30cm from the scanner. Under perfect conditions the diode will provide a spike of about 25µs on it's output. You have no chance to see that on the LED.

That's a good point, thank you. I'll try to just read the output with the arduino instead of expecting a visual.