IR Recorder and Repeater

OK, I have done some surfing and have yet to find anyone who has done this. I want to program my arduino to record the ir pulses of a series of numbers on a remote control and then be able to play them again at the push of a button. Can someone point me in the right direction? It seems to be a simple idea but I am clueless as to where to begin. Thanks for your time.

I have done some surfing and have yet to find anyone who has done this

Top hit for googleing 'arduino IR recording' http://www.arcfn.com/2009/09/arduino-universal-remote-record-and.html

Why couldn't you find it?

I am looking for something that can record multiple button presses at once and then play them all back again at the press of one button. Thanks for the link though.

can record multiple button presses at once

Oh I get it now. You are looking for something that is imposable and so you can't find it.

An IR remote can only send one code at a time. If the handset allows you to press two buttons to get a function the handset then decides what code to send. It does not send the code for two button presses. What you record is what is being sent. You can change buttons part way through the recording and the recording will remember that. I am having difficulty in knowing what you are trying to do here that is not done a million times in other projects. Note you recording time is limited to the way you sample what you receive and the small memory for an arduino. Remember the IR is modulated at 38KHz or so, therefore if you are going to record the modulation you need to sample at at least 76KHz. If you are going to strip out the modulation and record only the pulses you need to remodulate the IR diode as you send it, either in software or with something like a 555 timer.

I'm really sorry that I am not specific enough, I'll try again. I mean by "at once" that the arduino would record a combination of button presses and then be able to play them back. I was thinking that if the arduino didn't store the ir pulses themselves it could store a representation of them and then translate that representation in to the pulses again when I hit a button. All of the things that I have see only record one button on a remote control, I want to record a combination of buttons. Again I'm sorry about my lack of communication skills and thank you so very very much for helping me out.

The IR remote library is the thing you're looking for. It works with plenty of IR receiver modules (at least with ones that use hardware demodulation, since I'm using one like that).

You'd have to do the part of storing the button codes and replaying them yourself though ;) But it shouldn't be all that hard to do.

A sort of "macro" recording feature for ir remotes ? Interesting...

We have a new shield that can do this kind of "macro recording" and playback of IR remote control sequences. It may be the solution to the original poster's problem.

http://www.ruggedcircuits.com/html/gadget_shield.html

Free code is included for this very application.

http://www.ruggedcircuits.com

Free code is included for this very application.

WOW! I just happened to be looking for the same thing, but gave up and figured I'd have to write it myself. Thanks for posting that! It'll DEFINITELY come in handy for my first useful project ;D!

... arduino would record a combination of button presses ...

Some of the initial confusion stems from the fact that a combination of button presses is not the same as a sequence of button presses.

If you use something like 'learning remote' in your search you might have better results.

Don