IR Remote Control

New to these forums, so to start I will say HI :smiley:
Also new to using Arduino's.

I started my first project after I bought a real traffic light. I got a relay shield for my Arduino which was to switch the 110v power for the lights. I had it coded to have 4 different light modes;

• Normal (green, yellow, red)
  • Power outage mode (blinking red light)
  • Night mode (blinking yellow light)
  • Party mode, just because :stuck_out_tongue: (all lights lighting randomly)

It would switch modes after so many intervals. But I decided I would like to add a feature to my project with a way to control it. I thought about a Wifi Shield, but thats pretty expensive. Ethernet Shield, But didnt want to run more wire through the house -_-
So I decided to look around the interwebs for other ways, InferRed. I bought an IR reciever from my local Radio Shack, Jumper wires, and a little printed circut board. I learned how to solder! :smiley: :smiley:

For my IR reciever, looking at it with the led facing me, the pins are 1: OUT 2: GND 3: VS
I have them connected to my arduino OUT-pin11, GND-GND, VS-3.3v

I have the library added with the IRremote.h thingy. But going to 'Serial Monitor' nothing comes up hitting any buttons on my Toshiba Tv remote.

I gave up a little and watched a movie in the living room when the computer is and the connected arduino (in serial monitor still) Dont know where it got something from but there was 2 codes when I got back on the computer.

Could someone help me out here and get this small project done? I know people are doing more complicated projects, so this might be simple for most people. Any help would be appreciated, and thanks for taking the time to read my whole post. I know I wrote a lot... :zipper_mouth_face:

The only IR receiver I have is a 5V one: are you sure yours is 3.3V?

Are you sure our TV remote and the receiver use the same carrier frequency? (Although 38kHz seems to be a more-or-less de facto standard, there are other carrier frequencies.)

Welcome to the forum...

you need to be a bit more specific... e.g. (...help others to help you)

For my IR reciever, looking at it with the led facing me, the pins are 1: OUT 2: GND 3: VS
I have them connected to my arduino OUT-pin11, GND-GND, VS-3.3v

I have the library added with the IRremote.h thingy. But going to 'Serial Monitor' nothing comes up hitting any buttons on my Toshiba Tv remote.

You didn't say

• which pin is 1 (I assume Pin 1 is on the left when looking at the IR receiver from the front).
  • how you know the pinout. Is there a data sheet or model number?
  • ..... provide any details about the sketch you are using. Are you using one of the examples. Which One? or did you write your own sketch. Post the code being used.
  • which Arduino model you are using (There are many - with different characteristics)

Typical IR receivers will work at 3.3V & 5V (But not all will - some will work down to 2.5V). However, you could be hitting an issue if you are using a 5V Arduino.

Assuming you are using a 5V Arduino - try connecting Pin 3(Vs) of the IR Receiver to 5V and try again (A shot in the dark!)