IR/RF wireless data transmission

Hi, I have a project in mind but i would want to ask if it is possible before throwing money into it.

I want to make a few handheld devices that each have a button and data transmitter on it with a unique ID programmed in it, when pointed at a receiver and button pressed, the device will transmit its own unique ID to the receiving station, and the receiving station will do a certain task based on which ID it receives. It works like a remote controller, but I want multiple remotes rather than one.

I looked up some information on both IR data transmission and RF data transmission, but I haven't figured out which one I should go for.

Thanks Cynric

Range? Directionality? Environment? Rate?

Range, I'd say about within 4m. Directionality, I wouldn't say it has to be spot on, but lets say if I put 2 receivers 3m away, and I point at one of them, it won't affect the other. Environment, indoors, probably with a few spot lights here and there, not sure if it will affect IR transmission. Rate, hmm.... no idea, you mean how frequent the receiving end needs to be activated? I'd say under half a second?

cynricng: Directionality, I wouldn't say it has to be spot on, but lets say if I put 2 receivers 3m away, and I point at one of them, it won't affect the other.

Well, you don't want to use RF then. RF radiates out in all directions and usually goes a lot further than 3-4 meters in open space.

When selecting your IR emitter, use one with as focused a beam as possible (15° is probably about as tight as you can get). You may also need to "shroud" the emitter, for example with heatshrink, to keep IR from spreading out from the sides.

Thanks, will try it out.

Essentially, you are making several remote controls with one key each and each one has a different key value.

Just use IRLib or IR remote and go thru the examples and then you will know enough to complete.

A good quality norrow angle IR LED is TSAL6100. Avoiding the cheapest IR receivesr will save you lots of time. A good quality IR Receiver is TSOP34438.