IR sensor question

Hello I wanted to know what IR sensor would be good to detect an object the size a skittle and be able to interact with a seven segment display to keep track of the number of objects that pass it?

How close is the object to the sensor? How fast is it going? Will the position it passes be consistent? How much ambient light? There are reflective sensors that sense by shining IR light and detecting reflected light (usually pretty close-0.1 ") or break a beam from an IR emitter to a detector.

groundfungus:
How close is the object to the sensor? How fast is it going? Will the position it passes be consistent? How much ambient light? There are reflective sensors that sense by shining IR light and detecting reflected light (usually pretty close-0.1 ") or break a beam from an IR emitter to a detector.

its still in the prototype phase but it should be 1-3in from the object to the sensor and it will be in free fall on a device that will be angled at 45 degrees from the ground. I don't know how much ambient light comes from a skittle.

I don't know how much ambient light comes from a skittle.

Less than a wintergreen Lifsaver I imagine. So it is in the dark inside a device?

free fall on a device that will be angled at 45 degrees from the ground

Is it in free fall or is it rolling down a track at 45 degrees?

It's a lot easier to detect a beam break (the object falls between the IR LED and detector) rather than a reflection. If you can, suggest you try to build your device so you can use the former.

Chagrin:
It's a lot easier to detect a beam break (the object falls between the IR LED and detector) rather than a reflection. If you can, suggest you try to build your device so you can use the former.

What IR sensor would you recommend that does what you said above?

thorobred:

Chagrin:

What IR sensor would you recommend that does what you said above?

Any IR led and IR phototransistor -- there's so many to choose from and it's pretty difficult to get one that won't work. You can find them in the standard 5mm size, just like an LED, and they'll typically have a dark grey or blue head on them. Shouldn't cost more than $.25 but ordering them in small quantities they'll probably be more expensive.

I don't know where you like to buy your parts. If you want verification that a certain part will work then anyone on the forum can offer that advice.

Is that a skittle like a small ten-pin-bowling pin, or a skittle like an M&M ?

michinyon:
Is that a skittle like a small ten-pin-bowling pin, or a skittle like an M&M ?

Like an M&M