IR sensors with LED matrices help

So i just reached my arduino coding course for my college, and we need to start on our projects now so we can work through it until the end of the semester and get graded on it. I was looking into grouping 4 8x8 matrix's (these https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1091/6464/products/DSCF5565_64dde5bf-d9e2-426c-b145-30ff892d72b1_1024x1024.JPG?v=1450655810 ) and then setting up 32 infrared emitter LED's and IR receiver, setting them up into a square, and that square can act like a gate. if I put my finger in the lower left portion of the square, The lower left part of the 16 x 16 joined LED matrices would light up, it would be a literal mirror of where my finger is in the IR square. The problem is im very basic with arduino and not sure how a project like this would work out. Is there any tutorials out there that can help you gain an understanding of how possibly you would set up the code for that? Thank you for any replies or help. The professor doesn't want to offer any help so im kind of on my own.

This sounds like my project here:- The Sound Square
It was not written for an Arduino but the hardware should give you some pointers. Note that it can only cope with one finger at a time without getting “ghost” positions. I am sure you can figure out why.

Things to note:- it is difficult to separate adjacent sensors, using an IR sensor designed for data needs a “rest” of no light every 40 or so modulation pulses. I would start with an 8 by 8 array first before you go for the full 32 by 32.

Grumpy_Mike:
This sounds like my project here:-

I guess I can imagine, being that IR leds aren't narrow enough, what if i used 5mw red lasers instead?
Do you know any where i can find an explaination for an IR sensor for an arduino?

what if i used 5mw red lasers instead?

Then you would indeed be able to put the sensors closer together.

Do you know any where i can find an explaination for an IR sensor for an arduino?

Not at all sure what you mean by an explanation. Do you mean how to use an IR sensor with an Arduino or in fact any other digital processor?

The net is full of them, however their are three different sorts of sensor each requiring a different technique:-

1. Photo diode - get the fastest response - need an amplifier - subject to light interference
  2. Photo transistor - short range without an amplifier - subject to light interference
  3. Remote IR sensor - uses modulated IR - long range 6 to 11 ft - a bit immune to light interference

Grumpy_Mike:
Then you would indeed be able to put the sensors closer together.

1. Remote IR sensor - uses modulated IR - long range 6 to 11 ft - a bit immune to light interference

basically just creating a code so that laser and ir sensor would create a input once its cut and it would show up on the led matrice. Unless theres other tutorials out there similar to creating a code for what I want? I just don't know how to name it correctly

basically just creating a code so that laser and ir sensor would create a input once its cut and it would show up on the led matrice.

Which is what my project does where as instead of showing the results on a screen you use an array of LEDs.

Unless theres other tutorials out there similar to creating a code for what I want?

I don't think you will get closer than something like my project. anyway:-

reached my arduino coding course for my college, and we need to start on our projects now so we can work through it until the end of the semester and get graded on it.

What sort of grade to you think you will deserve if you just copy all of someone else's project and hand it in as your own?

If you want to use a modulated laser light for the noise immunity then for a sensor use a TSOP4038 light barrier sensor. Do not use any of the remote control sensors.