Irrigation monitoring project?

Hello to all from yet another newbie, I have a diesel irrigation pump that I would like to monitor. I have done a some research and think I have at least an amateur idea of what is needed.........

Of course funds are somewhat limited being we are in a perpetual drought and the cost of diesel, ETC..

Project:: to monitor pressures (pump discharge, engine oil, fuel), temps (engine cooling/pump bearings) and engine RPM/Run time and possibly data logging for failure analyses. also possibly some discrete IO's

At this point all pump controls are not in the mix as I have already built a control panel with auto shutdown and that is working well, this pump runs for 24HRs or more at a time unsupervised and the thought has crossed my mind that there may be a better way to monitor the pump than sticking my ear to the window at 3AM..

The hardware I have in place is a Win7/64 machine and a WiFi network with several AP's for cameras and have coverage in the area that the pump is located.

I am sure I can interface the low cost input modules, temp, pres. and hall effect into my pump. So is it as simple as integrating the analog inputs to the pump connected to a processor with a WiFi Shield and programming a graphical interface in the win7 machine??

Now understand I know nothing about Arduino, but I was there in the "beginning" (The days of the Timex Sinclair) and did my share of ladder logic back in the TI PM-550 days but have not been very active in art lately, so a mentor would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Craig A Tull Papalote, TX

Mogman: So is it as simple as integrating the analog inputs to the pump connected to a processor with a WiFi Shield and programming a graphical interface in the win7 machine??

you say ' inputs connected to the pump' I think you mean sensors connected to the pump, and inputs connected to the arduino.

is it that simple, connect the sensors to the pump, input the sensor reading into the arduino, have the arduino send that data to a different machine like your win box. then have the win7 box take that data and plug it into some software to display, such as a graphical meter or bar graph ?

yes, of course, it is on par with taking a micro chip, adding a bunch of peripherals like hard drives, keyboards, video cars and monitors and then wring software to make a home computer. form some it is beyond their ability, for others, it is the fun part of the hobby.

so a mentor would be greatly appreciated.

we are Arduino, we are mentor. ask, we answer

Thanks, I should have said "Integrating the analog modules to the engine/pump and connecting them to the processor" Sorry...