Is 9 to early to start teaching code?

So my cousin has 2 kiddos, 9 and 7 I believe. They are always interested in my little robots and I want to show them the ropes. We are all into Legos and I have plenty of Lego motors, technic parts and Arduino sensors. (I actually proto a lot of my projects in Legos as it is).
Step one will be building some kind of car or rover with them. Giving them most of the creative control. I just want 4 motors on it and a platform for sensors and emitters of their choice later.
I know they are both capable of all this so far, but is 9 to early to show coding too? Any good insight or tips before I visit them later this week?
I know I will be able to gauge a bit of this myself when I get into it with them, but I'm just looking for good pointers or help, to be better prepared is all I guess. Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask before doing so.
Thanks!

My son started at 5 with the old Lego NXT bricks, drag & drop programming.
Now he's a software engineer.

1 Like

I've seen but never used any drag and drop coding setups. Any you would recommend?

The Lego NXT was okay. As an engineer, I just found it awkward.

Ah, I've converted all my motors to jumper cables. Also can't really afford the Lego controller, assuming that is what the NXT is. It's been a while since I've looked at the Lego stuff past being a good way to interface motors and mechanical parts together.
But 5 is so young, 9 might be able to grasp it pretty well. Gives me more hope.

What took so long. My boys started at 6 & 8 and used basic, back then it was not a graphics interface but text on a terminal. Amazing on how fast they learned to read and write since the computer was dumb it only accepted it when it was formatted and spelled correctly.