Is a custom atmega328 pcb doable for a noob ?

jimmer:
But I am sure that the DIP package is too big for my pcb.

Appreciate that you have not revealed to the forum what the project actually is, you would probably get better advice if you did.

If your designing this product, what experience do you have in simular designs and SMT assembly ?

hammy:
Don’t forget you can buy a 328 in a dil package , that is a simplier route and you still make small boards that are easy to build and could be more reliable if you wondering skills are not 100%.

"wondering skills" I love it!

-jim lee

srnet:
Appreciate that you have not revealed to the forum what the project actually is, you would probably get better advice if you did.

If your designing this product, what experience do you have in simular designs and SMT assembly ?

Yeah, I realise that. Maybe I should have stopped after I got the original answer that it was possible, but then I couldn't resist mentioning my photodiode troubles.

No smt experience, that's why I'm excited to find out that it's possible to order prebuilt pcbs and also that it's possible to DIY solder sm designs.

I've now realised that the onboard 328 is too big a step for the first prototype board (for me at least). I am reverting back to plan A which is a sensor board with 8 analogue outputs to an arduino. Getting something working quickly is more fun than trying to package it perfectly from the start anyway.

SMT photodiodes are an extremely common part on cell phones, they're often used as an ambient light sensor.

jimmer:
No smt experience, that's why I'm excited to find out that it's possible to order prebuilt pcbs and also that it's possible to DIY solder sm designs.

If you need any advice just yell. More than willing to help.