Is an RFID reader with 2 tags for $30 worth it?

Radioshack is having a clearance sale on their Parallax RFID readers with 2 tags. (http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/audiovis/RFID-Reader-v1.2.pdf) If you try any look for it online, you won't find it in their catalog anymore. This is just a low-power, passive RFID reader/tag system, but it has been discounted from $50 to $30. Should I get one?

For that price I would. I bought one when it cost me $50.00. It is a good reader, can be interfaced with all microcontrollers and the computer with the right circuit.

I have no doubt that it is a good reader...I'm just having trouble thinking of useful things to do with it that cannot be done with a piece of paper instead. (classroom setting maybe?) Yes I could open a lock with it but that's not terribly useful at the moment.

The regulat price has been reduced to $40.

So it's a "good", but not "screamin' hot", deal.

The regulat price has been reduced to $40.

So it's a "good", but not "screamin' hot", deal.

Yes, but this is without shipping, so it effectively saves $15 unless you need more than 2 tags.

Anyway, I don't think I am going to buy it right now, because all I can seriously think of using this thing for is unlocking a lock or some other protected resource.

because all I can seriously think of using this thing for is unlocking a lock or some other protected resource.

But if you are not serious what about:- http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Hardware/Crazy_People.html

Or making something that turns the numbers from a card into a drawing or music? How about a sequencer with several readers?

Yeah, I think I will wait until some need or some niche in a really cool project actually appears. I was thinking about making a matching game, but I can already do that with pieces of paper. Yes RFID is much faster and reusable, but $30 for the reader and about $1 for each tag (incl. shipping) I could just as easily wait until I really need it.

I guess they call it RFID for a reason