Is Arduino-megaavr core still actively maintained?

Hi all,

I just looked into the github repository of the "megaavr" core (GitHub - arduino/ArduinoCore-megaavr: Arduino Core for the ATMEGA4809 CPU), and saw that some pull requests are waiting for a year or more, bug reports seem to be addressed very slowly, and the last release was done more than a year ago.

So I am wondering if this core is on the edge of becoming orphaned .... is the megaavr still maintained actively? Would it be a good choice to start using alternative cores like MegaCoreX (GitHub - MCUdude/MegaCoreX: An Arduino hardware package for ATmega4809, ATmega4808, ATmega3209, ATmega3208, ATmega1609, ATmega1608, ATmega809 and ATmega808)?

While there seems to be little progress on well-known issues, arduino pushes sales of the NANO EVERY - honestly speaking, for me these two aspects don't fit together. Well-known issues seem to include EVERY not running at 20Mhz; or the (suspected) need for a timeout in the wire library.

I am relatively new in the arduino world, so maybe I don't see the big picture, or something big is already happening behind the scenes - could someone :candle::bulb::flashlight: enlighten me please?

Thanks and with kind regards, Frank.

Well it took them almost 6 months to correct a typo in documentation page, so I would’n have high hopes.

What make you think the quality & break/fix will be better on newer h/w than more mature code for older h/w?

My thoughts are that Arduino, like many businesses, must generate cashflow, do future research, introduce new technology, and create software support, and fix software issues on a priority basis.

All the time, they are battering low-cost clones getting a free-ride on their ArduinoIDE and libraries and cores.

Just something to think about when we buy a cheap clone.

Ray

MegaCoreX is very well maintained. It is targeted to more advanced users, so I would not recommend it to someone just getting started with Arduino, but for the target user it is an excellent alternative to the official "Arduino megaAVR Boards" platform.

I'd sort-of rate the 7 open pull requests as somewhere between "risky" (have the millis timer interrupt 32x more often so that users can vary PWM frequency) and "low priority" (20MHz.)

Arduino moves slowly, and most of the AVR code is "believed to be rather stable, such that changing things may be more dangerous than not changing things."