Is arduino ok for the job??

Hi everyone,

I have in mind a project with different sensors or switches at same time. I'm going to use a RFID to monitor proximity, a temperature sensor, an infrared sensor (like those used in garage doors), a GPS to verify location, GSM to send text, a sd card to log info and save info, a limit switch.

Is there enough space to interface all this parts with the arduino or Do I have to look toward a microprocessor based system.

At first glance, it looks like the Arduino could do it. The Arduino Uno has 14 digital I/0 pins plus 6 analog input pins. The Mega has more.

The RFID, GPS, and GSM/Ethernet should be possible with additional hardware ("shields"), but you'll have to do some research and determine if they can all be used together on the same Arduino.

Hi I am doing project in IIT-Delhi to inject gasoline directly to engine cylinder refereed as gasoline direct injection (GDI). For my project I need the hardware which can sense piston position or crank angle and give electrical single of 12 volt if possible. I can use this signal to trigger Electronic control unit (ECU) which finally trigger injector. I have ECU which can vary pulse width of the injector i.e. duration of injection. One of my friend purchased micro-controller from your site of 15mHz frequency which can be used upto 3000rpm. I have gone through your web site but unable to understand terminology as I am from mechanical background. I want your help to suggest me a micro-controller which suite my requirement.

Waiting for reply.

Your Sincerely Shrikant G Gajbhe 2nd Year Mtech (Thermal engg.) IIT-Delhi

DVDdoug: At first glance, it looks like the Arduino could do it. The Arduino Uno has 14 digital I/0 pins plus 6 analog input pins. The Mega has more.

The RFID, GPS, and GSM/Ethernet should be possible with additional hardware ("shields"), but you'll have to do some research and [u]determine if they can all be used together on the same Arduino[/u].

Thanks for your answer. I'll work on that. I read that shields can be stacked but i think is better to work on a bread board and then concet the shields to whatever pins i need, but ill have to take care with the code when programing.

shrikant, Suggest you post in the India forum, there are several folks there who can help you with terminology, such as moderator Ni$hant who was posted about working on a similar kind of thing for motorcycles.

Given that the ECU itself (i.e. the input/output driver circuits and time-critical processing and algorithms to determine fuel/spark requirements) is quite complex and only a small part of the overall problem, I'd have thought that using a standard injection system would make more sense. You may be able to find a production one that is simple enough to use, but there are various aftermarket ones and also open source ones like Megasquirt which can be built fairly cheaply and come with all the configuration software, I/O driver circuits and so on that you're going to need to make this project work.