Is Arduino right for me project?

Trying to figure out if Arduino is right for what I want to do, and if it is what version.

I need to control a simple AC motor and stop it at certain points. I have 7 micro switched that make up the seven positions that the motor needs to stop at. The motor is triggered with a 5v DC trigger, reverse the polarity to run the motor backwards.

Arduino needs to know the position of the motor by remembering the last switch that was active. Then send the motor the correct new position. I need to input the new position using an IR remote.

I can get into more detail if needed but that is the basics of what I am trying to do.

everything sounds very doable, except the AC motor. an AC motor will require a Variable speed drive to do any control other that just on and off.

My crystal ball has crashed (XP!!!), so it would be helpful if you posted some data about the motor, like a model number, data sheet or a link to a website. Otherwise we are just guessing, which wastes both your time and ours.

Sorry the only motor control that is needed is on and off. I have already made a simple controller for the motor using relays that is activated by 5v DC power. +5v makes it go clock wise and -5v makes it go counter clockwise.

Well, the -5 volts bit is rather awkward....

How's the controller wired?

I think he probably has more of a relay H-bridge kind of setup, perhaps with DPDT relay.

DrAzzy: Well, the -5 volts bit is rather awkward....

How's the controller wired?

I guess it isn't really -5 no. Two wires go to the controller, red and black. When red it 5v and black is ground the motor runs clockwise. When black is 5v and red is ground it runs counter clockwise.

mopar_mudder: I guess it isn't really -5 no. Two wires go to the controller, red and black. When red it 5v and black is ground the motor runs clockwise. When black is 5v and red is ground it runs counter clockwise.

I have read your original message and I have come to the conclusion that the Arduino will do what you need.

Hi, The 5V that is required to control the controller, how many mA is required from the arduino outputs?

Can you please post a copy of your controller circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?

Are you sure the motor is AC?

Thanks.. Tom.... :)

Motor is AC yes. Controller is hooked up and running the motor already. I will get the schematic and specs latter this morning, thought I had them here at home but they are on my work PC.

Here is the schematic for the motor control.

This is the relay being used: PB386-ND

Clockwise 2 relays are powered, counter clockwise 3 relays are powered

Schematic - Motor control.pdf (51.7 KB)

Hi,

The coils of the relays are rated at 40mA, however you will have more than one relay on at a time. The arduino cannot safely supply that current from it outputs. You will need to use some transistor/mosfet drive to switch the coil currents.

Tom.... :)

Thanks Tom for the info.

I have one more question before I order some parts and start playing around with it.

I made a circuit that uses a comparator and some latches to run this motor already, and on the bench it works perfectly. The problem is that when I hook the harness that goes to the 7 micro switches I get some sort of interference from the AC motor. Every time the motor start or stops it send false triggers to the latches that are hooked to the micro switches. Question is am I going to run into the same problem with the Arduino?