Is CP2102 a good solution?

Good day!

I'm planning to get this USB-to-TTL to use with Arduino-enabled ATMega8 on a breadboard.

http://www.geeetech.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19_39&products_id=123

Some questions: - Is CP2102 chipset a good option or FTDI 2232 that Arduino uses is better? This part is so cheap.

• There is a 5V pin on this device? Is this an output from USB? Can I use it to power ATmega without voltage regulator?

Thanks in advance!

Is CP2102 chipset a good option or FTDI 2232 that Arduino uses is better?

FTDI is far better. FTDI has much better drivers, and the device has a unique serial number. CP2102 has lousy drivers and no serial number, so if you have more than one you can't tell them apart.

-j

I have used this chip and it worked well until I upgraded to Mac Snow leopard. Then the DTR signal stopped being toggled on connect / disconnect. This meant that the auto reset didn't work anymore. I contacted Silicon Labs and they said they would upgrade the drivers. Over a year later then still haven't done it. On the PC using XP however it is fine. The 5v is an input to the chip, you get it from the USB wires.

Thanks for the reply, I plan to use this device with windows machines only.

Just last question about +5V pin -- so this pin is for supplying power to the converted itselft? It is not powered from USB, right?

CP2102 has lousy drivers and no serial number, so if you have more than one you can't tell them apart.

You mean that I cannot have one converter, say as COM1 and another as COM2 on the same machine?

so this pin is for supplying power to the converted itselft? It is not powered from USB, right?

You have to feed the chip with 5V, one way to get the 5V is from the USB lines. I am not sure what you are asking?

You mean that I cannot have one converter, say as COM1 and another as COM2 on the same machine?

You can have that but you can't tell programatically what is what.

Mike, thanks for the replies, you have understand all my questions right! :)

or FTDI 2232 that Arduino uses is better?

Just want to point out that the Arduino does not use the 2232 but the 232... specifically the FT232. Also the new (UNO and MEGA2560) Arduinos use a different setup.

The only reason I wanted to point this out is because the FT2232 is very different than the FT232. Not only does it have the capability of 2 serial ports, but requires many more external components and has a lot more features.

The real important issue here is that all you need to accomplish is converting SOMETHING from the PC to ttl level SERIAL I/O for the Arduino. So it doesn't really matter... as long as what you give Arduino is what it expects.

I think the important point here is to know how you will use the custom assembly you will make and how much it will cost you.

For example: For breadboard solutions... I already had a Parallax USB to Serial Adapter so I didn't need to mess with my own Surface Mount device... I had something off the shelf. I also have a Schmartboard Serial to TTL adapter...

At first glance, it would look like I spend $20.00 more than I needed to... but the bonus is... I already had these parts for other projects and they just sit in my Breadboard parts collection. I can easily use these parts other AVR or PIC projects.

The FTDI part clearly has "ease of use" handled. It's probably why Parallax also selected this chip for their products.

Can you advice some particular breakout board?