Is ENC28J60 cheap ethernet module reliable

Hi,
I want to make one system for a small fabric and I need to take some data from around 1000+sensors.
I want to process this data on PC and I decided to provide each sensor with ethernet.
I found ENC28J60 ethernet modules that are cheap around 4$ and I just want to know If they are reliable.
I.e if I buy 1000+ sensors of those and I use them 24/7 what will be their lifespan?
I don't want to buy something that will just stop working after one month or less then a year.
So I wanted to ask for some feedback about those modules from people that are using this item extensive for a long time.

Thanks

Tonko

I found ENC28J60 ethernet modules that are cheap around 4$ and I just want to know If they are reliable.

Reliable and easy-to-use are not the same thing.

I want to make one system for a small fabric

Perhaps fabric means something different to you than it does to me.

I.e if I buy 1000+ sensors of those and I use them 24/7 what will be their lifespan?

Depends on how you power them, but with normal care, they should last for years.

How far apart are the sensors? How are you going to connect 1000 of them to a single PC? A 1000 port router is going to set you back a few thousand dollars.

tonko_lonko:
Hi,
I need to take some data from around 1000+sensors.
I want to process this data on PC and I decided to provide each sensor with ethernet.

I get the impression that the WIZ5100 ethernet system is much more appropriate for use with the Arduino, and is certainly better supported around here.

I also get the impression that the cheap price might have coloured your thinking and, if you want to monitor 1000+ sensors, a wireless network must surely be a better bet than either ethernet system. Assuming this is some sort of commercial operation, an ethernet system on this scale might take quite a bit of explaining to your boss.

An NRF24 network may suffice, the cost per item is much the same, but the savings in overall installation could be tens of thousands of dollars. This last would apply with any wireless system.

http://maniacbug.github.com/RF24Network/index.html

How far apart are the sensors? How are you going to connect 1000 of them to a single PC? A 1000 port router is going to set you back a few thousand dollars.

I wanted to use ethernet because the topology is simple.I plan to use 4+ routers and each router will have few switches.Each switch will have few sub switches.
This way I will get all sensors connected.Then my processing will be done on PC that just go two the each network and make http request to each sensor.

Nick_Pyner:
An NRF24 network may suffice, the cost per item is much the same, but the savings in overall installation could be tens of thousands of dollars. This last would apply with any wireless system.

http://maniacbug.github.com/RF24Network/index.html

I was thinking about the same but there are many machines in this small factory and I am not sure how 1000+ rf modules will work in the same place without many noises.Also each sensor should be powered with two wires.So in each case I need two wires to the sensor/for power supply/.If I just use cat5e I can use it for the ethernet card and power.The switches and routers are cheap enought and the cat5e cable is around 50Eur for 300m.The RJ45 plugs are also very cheap.
But I still like your idea.
I will have to read more about those 2.4Ghz wireless modules and maybe I can change my mind in this direction.
Thanks