Is it absolutely necessary to upgrade my Yun?

I am installing about 120+ Arduino Yuns for a study(not for a commercial purpose). I am having someone install the required tools. Since I am charged by the hour, I am trying to save time on the installation process.

The Yuns that I bought have the following version:

=Fri Apr 11 04:46:31 CEST 2014

From the change log, I see that the installed version contains fixes to heart bleed problem and other major updates. I do not see any other problems that would be fixed by upgrading the Yun to 1.5.3.

My application also seems to be running without an OS update. Would I be missing a major feature update if I do not update my Yun's linux image to 1.5.3?

yamanoorsai_15:
::::SNIP::::

My application also seems to be running without an OS update. Would I be missing a major feature update if I do not update my Yun's linux image to 1.5.3?

@yamanoorsai,
it is not absolutely required. However, there has been some bug fixes that are useful, such as the bridge library, time, network fixes and storage. However, I should be clear. There is a YunOS update, the linux portion, and the IDE upgrade. You should upgrade your YunOS. This can be automated. The IDE cannot.

Release Notes for the IDE

FWIW: I'm sure someone will be by later with more information.

Jesse

Step 1. Update one Yun with Microsd.

Install all the add on software as well.

Step 2. Run bootsd.sh at every Yun

nano bootsd.sh
uci add fstab mount
uci set fstab.@mount[0].target=/
uci set fstab.@mount[0].device=/dev/sda1
uci set fstab.@mount[0].fstype=ext4
uci set fstab.@mount[0].enabled=1
uci set fstab.@mount[0].enabled_fsck=0
uci set fstab.@mount[0].options=rw,sync,noatime,nodiratime
uci commit
/bin/ash bootsd.sh

Step 3a. Clone Yun OS fro first Yun's SD at Linux Box by dd Command

Step 3b. Far more scaleable solution 1 to 63 SD/microSD Card Duplicator Memory Flash Drive Copier

In 10 mins upgrade 126 Yuns., now you could charge it by minutes!

Step 3c. How to Clone SD Card USB Flash driver for Super Easy installation/reinstallation (Windows)

http://www.ibuyopenwrt.com/index.php/2-uncategorised/184-how-to-clone-sd-card-usb-flash-driver-for-super-easy-reinstallations

Thanks. Steps 1 and 2 helped me out. Since I am using a microSD card, I am wondering if I should make my filesystem read only. In my application, I am writing data to the RAM and uploading it. Would there be microSD card failure from read cycles?

yamanoorsai_15:
Since I am using a microSD card, I am wondering if I should make my filesystem read only.

Not with microSD , but could be with internal flash and Image ( firmware ) Generator. SquashFS is read only and reduced size

sonnyyu:
Plan B:

Image ( firmware ) Generator:

• Embedding packages directly into the SquashFS to reduce space requirements on the target
  • Preconfigure images by embedding packages and configuration files directly into SquashFS, and save manpower when flashing many devices
  • Building minimal images. for example without the web interface
  • Learning

Yun based on AR9331 , maximum flash size is 16MB. The newer CPU could support 128MB or 256MB flash memory. Use Image Generator will save a lot of manpower when flashing many devices. And save the cost and space with out Micro SD or USB flash driver.

Image Generator (Image Builder) - EN [Old OpenWrt Wiki]

yamanoorsai_15:
I am writing data to the RAM and uploading it. Would there be microSD card failure from read cycles?

Not as I know.