Is it me or is it my Mega 2560 that is not working correctly?

I am trying to find out if my Mega 2560 board is working correctly. :confused: I am trying to do an experiment, but I don't think I have a proper connection with the board. >:( When It turns on, I get a solid green light, then I get a blinking orange light that never goes solid or off. :confused: I can't seem to find a troubleshoot for this exact condition. :frowning: The last post I read said they had a solid orange light. So my questions are. What is a normal start condition when it comes to the onboard LED's? Now back to my main question. Is it me or my Mega 2560 board?
I should also mention it's brand new kit this is the 3rd time trying to do an experiment and failing so is it me or the board? :slight_smile:

If it is a CLONE board the LED's could be any random colour.

But normally they are marked :-

ON should be lit constantly.
RX and TX should only really flash when data is being used or the board is being programed.
L can be on or off depending on the sketch used

Loading the example BLINK from the IDE and changing the values should let you see which is which.

Bob.

Could you take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.
Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.

ballscrewbob:
If it is a CLONE board the LED's could be any random colour.

But normally they are marked :-

ON should be lit constantly.
RX and TX should only really flash when data is being used or the board is being programed.
L can be on or off depending on the sketch used

Loading the example BLINK from the IDE and changing the values should let you see which is which.

Bob.

Could you take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.
Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.

It turns out it was me it didn't have any program on it yet I guess it didn't install to my PC correctly but I went to the Arduino online sketch and it installed some stuff and it started working. I even got the traffic lights lesson working. I then tried to do the analogue lesson. Using a 10 k potentiometer when I put the jumper wire into the outgoing 5 volts the board shuts down and I don't have a clue why. I don't understand why this lesson won't work.

Pots can be tricky little things for new people.
Make sure you have the correct wires to the correct 3 pins.

Also try avoid using the full range of the pot to either end ( yes I know rock goes to 11 8) )
But some pots may seem to give a short at each end.

If it is one of those piddly little ones make sure it is contacting the breadboard if that's what you are using.

Boards straight from the factory usually come with the blink sketch pre-installed. That's the flashing L-led that you see.

No relationship with having the IDE installed on the PC or not.