Is It Possible / How Hard Would It Be?

First off, the reason this is in bar sport is because I am not currently trying to develop it, nor will I be any time soon...

Now then... I am going to be making a huge project... Head Board, Bed Frame, Desk, and TV Center. I am going to have an iPod / iPhone dock integrated in the headboard, so It can charge and play music at the same time... There is going to be lighted frosted plexiglass behind it... It would be cool to make it change colors, though... My question is:

How hard would it be to read the battery level of the iPod / iPhone? I cold then convert it to one of the following:

A shade of green, yellow, or red, representing the battery level.
OR
Bars of light behing the plexy representing roughly 10%... As in 10, 20, 30, ect. I would have it round the percent; <5 would round down and >5 would round up...

Why would you want to change colors based off of the charge level?

Since it is plugged in the battery level will be mostly 100%. after an hour or two anyways.

You should change colors based off of the genre or some other indicator of what is playing. Or create someother cool visual effect like an audio spectrum analyzer.

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1275615544/0

I geocache... Geochacing for iPhone uses a LOT of power! After 2-3 hours of the stuff, I'm at under 40%...

I geocache

You geocache in your bedroom?

I geocache

You geocache in your bedroom?

Don't underestimate how messy one's room may be...

How hard would it be to read the battery level of the iPod / iPhone? I cold then convert it to one of the following

I have a car USB port that changes colors based on the load. The instructions will tell you this 'feature' is so you can determine how charged your device is, at-a-glance.

You might be able to monitor the current level from the charger to get an idea of how full the battery is. An experiment would be to see if the current draw reduces as the phone gets closer to 100%.

ladyada reverse engineered the iPhone charger and made a video about it. Not sure if this may help you a bit...

personal grumble, someone else did the same thing in 2008

http://zedomax.com/blog/2008/07/28/diy-how-to-make-your-own-iphone-charger/

Right, but the thing was that DIY was no good with newer phones because they changed the voltage needed from 2.5v to 2.8v and the "old" DIY instructions were no longer working. So yes it's been done but it was necessary to do it again. (At least this is my understanding.)

Jeremy1998, sounds like a job for Leisure Suit Larry