Is it possible to capture an electrical signal as input?

Hi,

I have an arduino uno and basically want to capture everytime a circuit is run with a push button (connecting battery with another component), logging both that instance and the duration it's running. Nothing so complicated that I would need any type of sensor. Question is.. how would I exactly go about capturing that in the controller? I'm afraid I'll fry the board if I mess around with it.

Thanks

sounds pretty easy.

first, you need to know what the voltage is. there are lots of ways to gather the data of when there is power.

as for the boards, the UNO with an SD card shield that has a real time clock would be the place to start.

please let us know that the thing you want to measure. as much as you can. things like motors, such as a home heater would have different places and different ways to measure.

110VAC, or any AC line, could be detected with a non-contact device such as a current transformer.

one of the problems is if say, you want to measure when a heater is on. you connect to the switch. you know when the switch is on, but if the heater is not working, you only really know when the switch is on.

we REALLY-REALLY hate to see anyone tie into mains voltages, so would prefer a non-contact method if possible.

genejaelee: Hi,

I have an arduino uno and basically want to capture everytime a circuit is run with a push button (connecting battery with another component), logging both that instance and the duration it's running. Nothing so complicated that I would need any type of sensor. Question is.. how would I exactly go about capturing that in the controller? I'm afraid I'll fry the board if I mess around with it.

Thanks

My crystal ball has crashed, so I cannot see any details of this 'other component' and battery or how you would like to connect it (wireless, Bluetooth or with a cable). Also, the mind reading course I'm taking doesn't start until next year, sorry.

Replace the original switch with a relay. Then re-use the old switch (possibly in exactly the same physical position) to connect an input pin to GND. So now, when the victim moves the switch, the arduino springs into action and turns on that relay. In the meantime it can also log current time to EPROM. and trigger a shutter release on a camera.

maybe use the other contacts of the DPDT switch ?... or was that a 3PST ?

my crystal ball is a bit fuzzy here.....

genejaelee:
Hi,

I have an arduino uno and basically want to capture everytime a circuit is run with a push button (connecting battery with another component), logging both that instance and the duration it’s running. Nothing so complicated that I would need any type of sensor. Question is… how would I exactly go about capturing that in the controller? I’m afraid I’ll fry the board if I mess around with it.

Thanks

Just replace the pushbutton SP with a double-pole, DP, pushbutton. Then, use one side as GND and the other side to a 1K Ohm resistor to a digital pin with weak internal pull-up. If you use a UL rated 220V switch, you can pretty much eliminate any HV (mains) concerns. Just use heat shrink to make certain that all the connections are well insulated.

Ray