Is it possible to control thousands of leds with arduino?

Dear Arduinoers, i am doing architecturel scale models as a hobby and i want to put leds inside them and light them with my samsung android tablet remotely via bluetooth. But i dont know whether arduino is capable of doing this or not. Please share your opinions and advices. thanks and regards

Yes it is.
Arduino can talk bluetooth.
Arduino can control devices that control LEDs. MAX7219 to control 64 LEDs for instance, daisy chain a ton of them. Or the LEDs that are controlled in strings, data passed from one controller to another to turn on, off, control brightness, etc.

Unless you design a pcb and use the tracks, prototyping one that uses just 100 leds would be a pain in the arse.

Take a look at addressable leds (which have the shift register embedded in the led)

Max7219 would not be difficult:
Make a breakout board with 64 pairs of connectors, one per LED going to each location.
This example shows 2 common cathodes for 8 anodes, easy enough to make one anode/cathode pair for each LED tho.

CrossRoads:
Max7219 would not be difficult:
Make a breakout board with 64 pairs of connectors, one per LED going to each location.
This example shows 2 common cathodes for 8 anodes, easy enough to make one anode/cathode pair for each LED tho.

Thanks for all replies, i saw this in youtube K&A Models - Architectural Model - Dynamic Tower Lighting Effect - YouTube and really want to make one for myself. If you say i can do it with arduino then i am going to buy the starter kit and try to do it. Thanks

Also please would you advise which arduino model should i start with to make such project.