Is it possible to create a clone of a LilyPad USB without using an ISP ?

long version of the subject line: ATmega32U4 comes with a pre-installed USB bootloader. In light of that, is it possible to create a clone of a LilyPad USB without using an ISP ?

Colleagues,

I’m creating my own version of LilyPad USB. It just like the stock LilyPad only with few extra peripherals. Creating the hardware shouldn’t be a problem for me (aside from the ceramic resonator question, which I had earlier). Getting the hardware to work with Arduino software tools takes some figuring out.

I have noticed that ATmega32U4 comes with a pre-installed USB bootloader. Will the Arduino development tools recognize this bootloader? Is that the same bootloader that LilyPad (and Leonardo) come with?

Assuming the worse: the Arduino development tools don’t wan to work with the native USB bootloader. I would imagine that I could download the LilyPad USB bootloader using the native USB bootloader. Is there a how-to tutorial? Will the LilyPad USB bootloader overwrite the native bootloader?

To sum it up, here are my options:

• Option 1. Take advantage of the pre-installed bootloader that ATmega32U4 comes with. If possible.
  • Option 2. Throw resources at the problem. Buy an ISP of one type or another.
  • Option 2.1 Rig an ISP from another Arduino (there is a time-tested tutorial). I happen to have a mini-pro.

Any suggestion, insight or reference is really appreciated!

Cheers,

• Nick

You can re-write "platforms.txt" to upload using the Atmel bootloader, whether or not it is compatible with the existing arduino 32u4 platforms. (option 2.5?) I wouldn't count on using the existing bootloader to write a new bootloader; usually the bootloader can only write to the "application" section of the flash.

Options 2 and 2.1 work fine; ISP programmers are available from eBay/China for less than $5, or from US vendors for less than $10 (presumably reselling the China versions, but hopefully with local stock.) An official Atmel programmer that does programming and debugging for both AVR and ARM microcontrollers is only about $50 ( http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/ATATMEL-ICE-BASIC/ATATMEL-ICE-BASIC-ND/4753381 )

[quote author=Nick Alexeev link=msg=2244149 date=1432357900]Option 2.1 Rig an ISP from another Arduino (there is a time-tested tutorial). I happen to have a mini-pro.[/quote]

westfw: Options 2 and 2.1 work fine [...]

I went with option 2.1 and rigged a mini-pro as an ISP. The setup worked from the first time and worked reliably. Brief report here.