Is it possible to have servers with the WiFi shield disconnected from computer

Hello everyone,

I have successfully uploaded the WiFiChat code to the Uno R3 with the WiFi shield. But when I disconnected the USB ports for the shield, the server disconnected. Is it possible to maintain a server connection and allow clients to communicate though the Uno and the shield without connections from the computer and without using another Arduino?

Thank you very much!!!

How do you power the Arduino when disconnected from USB?

Normally the program saves on to the Uno(in projects without the shield), then I disconnect the Uno from the USB and instead plug a 9V battery into the battery socket. I tried doing the same thing with the WiFi shield but it didn't work. Because it's a WiFi shield I know there has to be a way to maintain a server independently but I'm not sure how.

Thank you for your help!

how much power does the Arduino + wifi shield use?

How much can a 9V battery deliver?

If the wifi shield uses a w5100 chip, a 9v battery won't last very long. Have you measured the voltage on the arduino 5v pin?

I almost positive that I don't have the chip and have gotten the shield to work with the battery for a while, I used a multimeter and measured that in conjunction they use 0.9 watts of energy. However, my question was more specifically, can you use the serial communication or any other text box to record results wireless. That is the premise of my project.

Thank You for Helping!

However, my question was more specifically, can you use the serial communication or any other text box to record results wireless. That is the premise of my project.

If this means what I think it does, yes.