Is it possible to implement "remote car start" on a car that uses ignition keys?

I hate waiting in the cold for 5 min every time. I heard some guy used a SIM card and an Arduino to build a remote car start system that gets activated by him calling a number.

Not sure if it’s even possible since my car uses ignition keys. Doesn’t the key hole has to be in a certain position in order for things to function?

Thanks

Cars have been started (stolen) without keys so you would assume so.

The question to ask yourself is; do you have enough knowledge and experience to implement this in a safe manner, concievably if the cunning electronics goes wrong the car could stop when its not safe to do so.

srnet:
do you have enough knowledge and experience to implement this in a safe manner

Going off the fact this thread is posted in Using Arduino I’m thinking that the OP sees an Arduino and thus probably an Atmel somewhere in the solution. Atmel explicitly preclude the use of their chips in automotive applications.

(Although I haven’t checked a datasheet since microchip got involved; I wonder if they still have the same rule?)

The ignition switch does (at least) 3 things:

1. Controls the power supplied to the ignition circuit (petrol engines) or fuel feed (diesel engines).
  2. Controls the power supplied to vehicle accessories such as lights, wipers, radio etc.
  3. Switches power to the starter motor.

I guess you are considering doing #3 without thought about the other 2. In order to start the engine #1 has to be correct too, and note that this is different for petrol and diesel engines.

If you do install circuitry to control #1 then consider that this needs to take into account what happens when you get in the car, put the key in and turn it. You need a clear understanding of how the electrical system is wired in order to work out how to change it successfully.

I share the concerns about safety.

When I lived with my parents I put a fan heater in my ancient car over night, plugged it in to the garage then removed the fuse from the garage mains feed. In the morning as soon as I got up I put the fuse back. Nice warm car when I was ready to go out.

The real challenge for an older car is absolutely preventing the remote-start from working if the car is in-gear. Without that the car could move forward sufficiently with the starter motor to kill someone.

And, as already said, Atmel products are not approved for use in cars.

Make sure to get written approval from your car insurer before embarking on this project.

...R

PS... if the car is in-gear but cannot move the starter-motor and perhaps also the battery will be toast with a real risk of a fire.

When I lived with my parents I put a fan heater in my ancient car over night, plugged it in to the garage then removed the fuse from the garage mains feed. In the morning as soon as I got up I put the fuse back. Nice warm car when I was ready to go out.

I lived in the mountains. lots of cars had an plug hanging out the grill. it was a water or oil pan heater. like you said, plugged it in at the end of the day, timer came on a hour before work and the car engine was warm enough to start easily, and deliver warm air quickly.

The first answer to the subject line is yes.
remote starters were available long before cars went key-less.
and there are aftermarket kits for any car.
used for both manual and automatic transmissions.

the basic premise is that
#1) the doors are locked
#2) the transmission is in neutral (manual transmission) or park for automatic
the motor runs for a set time, usually about 5 minutes, then auto shuts off.

one of the problems might be that your ignition switch requires a key fob that has a transmitter in it.
There are youtube videos of people who took the key fob off and installed it next to the key switch, then used a simple key.

bottom line is, yes, it can be done.

the beauty of using an Arduino would be that you could get a temperature report back. placed in the heating duct somewhere, it could report when the car started to have heat.

for the Arduino level, I would put this into the advanced beginner
but I would go RF or WiFi, much easier IMHO
for the car level, I would put this into the advanced beginner level as well.

it is doable if your skills are up to the task.

=======================

google remote start
you can buy a complete kit for about $50 USD.
comes with key fob remotes.

dave-in-nj:
for the Arduino level, I would put this into the advanced beginner

it is doable if your skills are up to the task.

You say that in spite of what it says in the Atmel datasheet?

Unless specifically provided otherwise, Atmel products are not suitable for, and shall not be used in, automotive applications.

alright, I won't consider it.

thanks

not_a_noob:
You say that in spite of what it says in the Atmel datasheet?

Google Atmel automotive for yourself.

With the hundresds of people who use an Atmel chip for security for car engine control, for supercharger or engine timing. The answer is an emphatic YES

With the daily posts of help asked for and given for using Arduinos in cars. This forum offers that help.

dave-in-nj:
With the hundresds of people who use an Atmel chip for security for car engine control, for supercharger or engine timing. The answer is an emphatic YES

They probably have a specific approval from Atmel / Microchip

...R

I think I paid $200 at a local garage to have a remote start unit added to my wifes car. I did it while she was away on business. Christmas morning, she opened a box with the FOB in it. She loves it.

To do it over, I would have spring for a unit with duplex communication. The car communicates back on the success/failure of the start attempt. Usually, failure is from standing too far from the car when you hit the button. So then you walk over to the window where you can see your car and try again.

dave-in-nj:
Google Atmel automotive for yourself.

That's a range of products that they market under the name of "automotive". Who knows what distinguishes them from the run-of-the-mill ones and it's not our place to speculate why Atmel distinguisehs. For whatever reason, Atmel tell us not to use "ordinary" chips in automotive applications, and unless you have specific knowledge that the automotive series is used in Arduino, I'm sticking to what the "ordinary" datasheet says.

To suggest otherwise, and in particular to encourage others not to go by what the datasheet says is irresponsible.

You can engineer the application as soundly as you can, following every best practice in the book, but the day it fails and kills someone, Atmel will simply and rightly say "Ah, but you shouldn't have used it for that. Says so right here, look...."

paulwece:
I hate waiting in the cold for 5 min every time. I heard some guy used a SIM card and an Arduino to build a remote car start system that gets activated by him calling a number.

Not sure if it's even possible since my car uses ignition keys. Doesn't the key hole has to be in a certain position in order for things to function?

Thanks

This would not be something you could implement over a weekend. Can you be without the car for 5 -6 months?

Paul

Robin2:

Quote from: dave-in-nj on Today at 01:21 pm

*With the hundresds of people who use an Atmel chip for security for car engine control, for supercharger or engine timing. The answer is an emphatic YES *

They probably have a specific approval from Atmel / Microchip

...R

We get a couple posts every week on this forum about people using Arduinos to adjust timing for cars, for pressure for turbochargers, for replacing gauges with Arduinos, with using an Arduino to play music, to replace turn/stop signals. we gets posts about people using on motorcycles and with problems with power for them. We answer them like any application.
If you google Atmel automotive, they list a 328P-automotive version.
the manufacturer does approve of use for automotive applications with the '-automotive' chip.
I have never seen anyone post about approval for hobby use in the past.
'programming' gets similar posts in that forum
The best I can tell from all the posts about using Arduinos in automotive applications, we treat them like any other use.
Since this is a hobby use and not a commercial use people tend to be more concerned about if it will work for the application than if the data sheet says what it should be used for.
I would offer that the OP would be far better off to spend the $$ and purchase a remote car starter than to try to learn how to program an Arduino.

not_a_noob:
That's a range of products that they market under the name of "automotive". Who knows what distinguishes them from the run-of-the-mill ones and it's not our place to speculate why Atmel distinguisehs. For whatever reason, Atmel tell us not to use "ordinary" chips in automotive applications, and unless you have specific knowledge that the automotive series is used in Arduino, I'm sticking to what the "ordinary" datasheet says.

To suggest otherwise, and in particular to encourage others not to go by what the datasheet says is irresponsible.

You can engineer the application as soundly as you can, following every best practice in the book, but the day it fails and kills someone, Atmel will simply and rightly say "Ah, but you shouldn't have used it for that. Says so right here, look...."

I could not find the warning in the data sheet for the 328.
by chance, can you quote the warning ?
I searched the 662 page data sheet for the word automotive, no results. maybe I missed something.

Any chance we can get these irresponsible posts removed from the Arduino.cc website ?

https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/projects/tags/car?f=1

dave-in-nj:
I could not find the warning in the data sheet for the 328.
by chance, can you quote the warning ?
I searched the 662 page data sheet for the word automotive, no results. maybe I missed something.

Atmel ATmega328/P [DATASHEET]
Atmel-42735B-ATmega328/P_Datasheet_Complete-11/2016

"Unless specifically provided otherwise, Atmel products are not suitable for, and shall not be used in, automotive
applications. Atmel products are not intended, authorized, or warranted for use as components in applications intended to support or sustain life"

"I hate waiting in the cold for 5 min every time."

Best way to warm up the car is just drive it.

If your bottom is cold, get a heated seat pad/cushion, makes the wait very bearable. (I have built in electric seats - wish had a heated steering wheel at times to go with them.)

heated seat cushion for car - Google Search......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131j0i10j0i13.cy8JYQYpM4o

Perhaps the worst thing an individual can do (for them) is advertise a modification they are planning to a motor vehicle by advertising and recording what they are doing by posting on a public forum asking for advice; 'how do I do this'.

Clearly there is the potential for a DIY vehicle modification by even an 'experienced constructor' to fail and cause injuries or damage resulting in litigation.

Do you feel lucky ..................................

By the way, the
ATMEGA328P-15AZ

is rated for -40C to 125C, for automotive environments.

Unless Microchip killed them off. I used to purchase them for cards I delivered to Africa where it gets pretty hot.
Digikey, Mouser, Arrow no longer stock them. "Factory Special Order: Obtain a quote to verify the current price, lead-time and ordering requirements of the manufacturer."
Avnet shows them as not in stock, with 2000 limit to buy them. That's too bad.

Final page:

SAFETY-CRITICAL, MILITARY, AND AUTOMOTIVE APPLICATIONS DISCLAIMER: Atmel products are not designed for and will not be used in connection with any applications where the failure of such products would reasonably be expected to result in significant personal injury or death (“Safety-Critical Applications”) without an Atmel officer's specific written consent. Safety-Critical Applications include, without limitation, life support devices and systems, equipment or systems for the operation of nuclear facilities and weapons systems. Atmel products are not designed nor intended for use in military or aerospace applications or environments unless specifically designated by Atmel as military-grade. Atmel products are not designed nor intended for use in automotive applications unless specifically designated by Atmel as automotive-grade.