Is it possible to put a split in a single RGB led strip?

See attached photo for what I am talking about. I want to control a single RGB strip but want to place a 3-foot-long split in it with wires connecting the strip at the split. The strip I have obviously has marked areas where the strip can be cut with scissors to be made into individual smaller strips but can I cut the strip at one of these junctions, splice some wire in place to connect the two pieces, and treat it as a single functioning strip?

FYI I tried embedding the photos into this post but I only get the option to embed a URL, not a local file on my computer. If there is a way to do this please advise. I included the images as attachments.

1.jpg

1.jpg

11.jpg

"Quote" my reply and examine the code (carefully!) :grinning: OK, yes you have to first attach the file and post it then choose to modify your posting to embed the URLs. And you have to make a note of the URL before you choose to "modify" the posting which is tricky for more than one URL as you cannot see the attachments in the "modify" mode. :grinning: Easy enough?

Yes, you can extend the strips in this way with no problems.

Depending on the length of the strips. Use reasonably heavy wire - at least 1mm2. The foil on the strips has limited current carrying capability, you may get brightness reduction and colour distortion beyond a few metres of strip. :roll_eyes:

Paul__B:
1.jpg

11.jpg

"Quote" my reply and examine the code (carefully!) :grinning: OK, yes you have to first attach the file and post it then choose to modify your posting to embed the URLs. And you have to make a note of the URL before you choose to "modify" the posting which is tricky for more than one URL as you cannot see the attachments in the "modify" mode. :grinning: Easy enough?

Yes, you can extend the strips in this way with no problems.

Depending on the length of the strips. Use reasonably heavy wire - at least 1mm2. The foil on the strips has limited current carrying capability, you may get brightness reduction and colour distortion beyond a few metres of strip. :roll_eyes:

Thank you!

On a side note, is there any reason that you couldn't run two identical strips in parallel off of the same line assuming you want them to both do the exact same thing at the exact same time and the power source can handle the load?

You can do what you want, including your question at reply #3, but really instead of joining the end of one to the beginning of the next give each strip its own wires back to whatever is controlling them. The foil conductors can't carry much current so feeding one strip of another is asking for brightness problems. Ideally feed both ends if possible, or the middle (or all 3!).

PerryBebbington:
You can do what you want, including your question at reply #3, but really instead of joining the end of one to the beginning of the next give each strip its own wires back to whatever is controlling them. The foil conductors can't carry much current so feeding one strip of another is asking for brightness problems. Ideally feed both ends if possible, or the middle (or all 3!).

Thank you!