Is it Possible to receive WS2811 controller data?

So shortly someting about me:

Hello
My Name is Martin and it is the first time posting in here.
I already learned a lot by reading various threads and watching lots of videos. I am not an expert in electronics but I consider myself as "quite good" and I am willing to learn new stuff and educate myself.

At the moment I am working on something like "Astera Titan Tube" which are more or less RGB + ww+ cw tubes with individual adressable leds (for Film etc). I would like to use WS2811 (already got them) and build 10 with a length of 1 Meter. I am not shure how to connect them yet. Wired or wireless (ESP8266???). I need to be able to connect them in serial and in parallel aswell. If they are just connected in serial I can use the controller and just extend the wire from one tube to the next. But that doesn't work in parallel. For sure I can write simple scripts with the "neopixel" library (already done that before) but using an app is much easier if one wants to change anything. And I want it to be simple so everyone can use it.

Is it possible to decode the data from the controller and mess with it in the arduino and then send it to the individual strips/tubes? This way I can configure serial, parallel, groups or what ever but still use the app (Magic Home Pro at the moment). I guess I would like to use the Neopixel Library but the other way around!? If that makes sense!?

@malte_entzmin

Other post/duplicate DELETED
Please do NOT cross post / duplicate as it wastes peoples time and efforts to have more than one post for a single topic.

Continued cross posting could result in a time out from the forum.

Could you also take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.

Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.

My fault. I got confused and posted in the wrong section.

Is it possible to decode the data from the controller and mess with it in the arduino and then send it to the individual strips/tubes?

Not sure, but if it is you will probably end up having to use machine code rather than C.
Or maybe use a bit of hardware to help.

But why try and get the information this way? If you control both ends of the process there are simpler ways of transferring the data SPI cones to mind.

I wanted to use an App (iOS) because of the convenience of programming the scenes for the strip. The lights should be used on video sets and have to to be reprogrammed easily. I never used mashine code before so I dont know what is possible and what is not.

I thougt about getting multiple controllers but i am not sure if they will be in sync which is very important.

When you say in parallel, so you mean two or more strings all getting the same data?
If yes, you can just connect the input end of the strings in parallel so both get the same data.

Or, are they not configurable, but set up like a big 8x8 matrix? If so, each string can have it's own data input, and you just each string whatever data it needs.

For example, here are 4 strings of 43 or 44 LEDs, each runs off its own control pin.
Data for all 4 is sent out together, you cannot see any time lapse between them, can you?

What controller is used in the example? It would be nice if I can programm every strip individual. But if I can't, just wire them in parallel could be an option. Maybe not that versatile but might be okay...have to think about circumstances where one need every tube individual.
If I "just" use them in parallel and series would it be possible to transfer the spi signal from one tube to the next (lets say in series) wireless? Maybe with an Esp8266 over wifi?

malte_entzmin:
If I "just" use them in parallel and series would it be possible to transfer the spi signal from one tube to the next (lets say in series) wireless? Maybe with an Esp8266 over WiFi?

No. :astonished:

:grinning: already thought so :frowning: