is it possible to step a steppermotor with a blink pulse?

Is it possible to step a stepper motor with a blink pulse?

I want to make a stepper motor do one step every time when the led pin goes LOW/HIGH, nothing more.
so: one blink = one step

Is there a good and easy stepperdriver that who will do the job?

I have a small nema15 motor and a pololu 4899 driver, but for some reason the stepperdriver won't do what i tell him te do.

Maybe there is better solution with an other stepperdriver or without a stepperdriver and only an elco,
or a dc motor do one turn every blink....

Thanks, for helping

(I am a beginner, please keep it simple)

Circuit and code please, then we can tell you where the problem is.

Thanks MarkT for your respons.

int ledStep = 13;
int dirPin = 12;

void setup() {

pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(12, OUTPUT);

}

void loop() {

digitalWrite(dirPin, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(ledStep, HIGH);  
  delay(100);             
  digitalWrite(ledStep, LOW);    
  delay(500);              
}

The Pololu 'step' is connected to pin 13 and the 'dir' to pin 12
5v power from arduino to driver
12v 500mA from arduino Vin to driver with capacitor 220uF 25V
RST to SLP connected bridge
Stepper 4 wire connected a-c-d-f

Most of the times the motor turns, then stops, then turns in the other direction... , but not always in this order, sometimes it skips a turn.

Maybe i distroyed already the driver.

So, except from circuit and code, it is not impossible to do one step every time the led pin goes LOW/HIGH?

Draw a schematic please that verbal description is totally inadequate. It sounds like you have not got a common ground.
What have you done with the enable and direction inputs to your driver?

i followed the minimal wiring diagram schematic from the Pololu page.

the enable pin is not connected
the direction pin is connected to 'dirpin' 12;

Yes, my common ground has not yet arrived.

Have you set the current correctly? This is important.

What microstepping options are you using?

You claim to have a small NEMA15 motor, which is a non-existent size(*). Perhaps you could
tell us what the motor actually is and how much current it needs? If you have a high impedance
stepper it may be inappropriate for a chopper driver like the A4988 which are designed for
low impedance bipolar steppers.

(*)NEMA goes 8,11,14,17,23,34,42

This Simple Stepper Program probably does the sort of thing you want.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics

First of all, can someone tell me if its possible at all to blink / step?

The order paper is telling me "steppermotor NEMA15" on the motor sticks JK35HY36-1004AC
the guy from the store said he is using a similar combination to run his 3D printer.

http://www.jkongmotor.com/Product.asp?Action=View&ProductID=439&Catalog=10

OK, Its a NEMA14 current: 1A/phase

I use full step: MS1 MS2 MS3 not connected not even to GND, just like in the minimal wiring diagram schematic from the Pololu page.

Sorry, I think i have set the current as low as possible otherwise the ic is getting to hot (the motor is running free), so the current is probable not correct.

Thanks, but the simple stepper program wont work to me.

First of all, can someone tell me if its possible at all to blink / step?

Yes it is.your code will work. The fact that it doesn’t is down to how you have wired it up.

If you want help show your schematic, your words give an incomplete view of the wiring. You must not leave inputs unconnected.

Thanks for the relieving anser

Yes it is.

A4988.jpg

Thanks.
Now connect the enable line to ground.
And connect the logic power supply ground to the motor supply ground.

nope, won't work, still the same :frowning: turn, stop, return, stop,... turn, stop, return.....

enable and power-supply to GND

maybe the driver is damaged, how can i test this?
or maybe the power supply isn't stable 12V ---- 500mA?
is the capacitor ok? 220uf 24V

Are you sure you haven't mixed up pins 12 and 13 ?
And what if you wire "DIR" to a fixed level (doesn't matter whether HIGH or LOW) ?

CaptainPicar3d:
Thanks, but the simple stepper program wont work to me.

I just noticed this statement now.

May I suggest that you concentrate on getting the motor to work with that code. That code has worked for several people as well as for me. If it is not working the problem lies in your connections or your power supply.

...R

The other thing you could have wrong is the coils wires. Try swapping one set.

Now we need to see if what you say you have in the schematic is what you actually have on your circuit so please post a photograph that shows your wiring. We need to be able to trace your wires from this and match it to the schematic, so update that as well to cover what you have changed so far.

with other sketches it doesn't work either.
sometimes the motor is only buzzing but not turning.

I am new to programming, not to make wire schematics, i made much more difficult, of course a wire is fast wrong placed.

The chip is getting also very hot even after a few seconds.

I try to take a good foto but its difficult because i work with female- male jumpers wires from the stepper driver to the arduino and breadboard.

it seems like the dir and step pin on the driver are getting not a flat stable signal.

Could it be the power source, usb and 12v 500mA adapter are giving a distorting frequency?

Sorry, I don't mean to be unkind, but I can't make sense of your Reply #15.

It is essential for you to make a pencil drawing showing all your wiring connections and post a photo of the drawing. A photo of the hardware is not suitable.

...R

How can anybody help you if you will not tell us what you have done?

Your code is fine so something else is wrong. It is either your wiring or your components.

A current rating of 500mA is not a lot when driving a motor, what current does your motor take?

If you can not draw a diagram of how it is wired then you do not have the skill to actually wire it up.

in attach the diagram

the current of the NEMA14 motor is 1A/phase

so it’s impossible the driver is damaged because the motor is spinning?

Thanks

A4988 - arduino.jpg

the current of the NEMA14 motor is 1A/phase

So that is 2A required from the power supply!

And you power supply is rated at:-

12V ---- 500mA?

I think that is your problem. The driver will limit the current to the motor but with only 250mA per phase available that is not enough to develop any torque enough to move it but it is enough to make it buzz.

Also your code takes 600mS to do one step. Typically you need 200 steps for one revolution therefore with this code it will take 2 minuets to turn once. Normally people add a bit of tape to a motor so they can see slow movements like this.