Is it possible to take the code and reprogram an already existing circuit?

I'm just curious, is it possible to read the code from a circuit chip, such as one in a toy or something and then reprogram it, not an arduino board but an already existing chip?

It can be very difficult to impossible to get the code from an existing chip.

If you did, it would be in assembler.

Controllers used on the Arduino boards can be reprogrammed.

BTW, this site is for Arduino questions.

GucciStupidHead:
I'm just curious, is it possible to read the code from a circuit chip, such as one in a toy or something and then reprogram it, not an arduino board but an already existing chip?

Unless you are already an expert the possibility of reading the code on an existing chip is ZERO.

If you know the type of chip and if you have access to its programming pins you could probably write and upload your own program.

The Arduino Uno use an Atmega 328 microchip which is very common - you might be lucky and find a chip from the same family in your toy.

In some products the identity of the chip is removed and in that case I doubt there is any practical way to reprogram it.

...R

PS ... Keep in mind the balance between the price of the toy and the value of your own time - not to mention all the coffee you will consume :slight_smile:

Chip manufacturers also offer the option of chips ready programmed during manufacture, this is cheaper for large production runs. These chips cannot usually be re-programmed.

Forget about getting the code out of the existing chip and consider reproducing what it does using an Arduino